Re: Common Descent: From Monkey To Man

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 04:36:27 EDT

    >Josh: The following quote is important for my general argument:
    >
    >"Although HERVs are known to be preferentially integrated into GC-
    >and Alu- rich actively transcribed and early replicated areas of
    >human chromosomes, the patterns of various HERVs and their LTRs
    >within the human genome are diverse. For some, there is only slight
    >unevenness in the distribution over chromosomes... IN contrast
    >10,000-25,000 copies of HERV-K related LTRs are highly
    >over-represented on human chromosomes 3 and 16, and underrepresented
    >on chromosomes 8, 11, 13, and X." (Bioessays 22:161-171).
    >
    >There seems to be more to this than complete random access to the genome.
    >
    >Josh

    Josh,

    I don't think you can make your argument work. Viral and transposon
    insertions are not completely random - you are right about that - but
    they are nowhere near specific enough to account for all cross
    species insertions at exactly the same site and orientation - often
    in multiple species. Remember, too, that the common descent
    "hypothesis" predicts phylogenetically coherent patterns for a given
    insertion. An insertion should be present in a set of species that
    makes sense for the insertion to have occurred at one point in the
    phylogenetic tree. I think that is almost always the case in the
    examples studied, but there may be rare anomolies from deletion of an
    element. One also expects that the age of insertions determined from
    their phylogenetic pattern should match their age estimated from
    sequence divergence from the consensus for their class. Again, I
    think this is generally true, with some anomolies from things like
    gene conversion.

    The elements we are discussing can be regarded as one form of a more
    general category, which is mutations that are complex enough that
    they are very unlikely to have occurred twice in exactly the same
    way. Another example is chromosomal rearrangements - inversions,
    translocations, duplicative transpositions, etc. The sequence
    junctions in a rearrangement are analogous to mobile element
    insertion sites in this regard. (There is the caveat that some
    rearrangements depend on homologous recombination (often between
    different copies of a mobile element like L1), and so they can recur.
    The Philadelphia chromosome in myelogenous leukemia is an example.)
    If common descent is true, it should be possible to work out a
    coherent history of, for instance, the rearrangements of the
    mammalian genome during the evolution of mammals. In fact, that
    project is well under way. I haven't followed it very closely, as it
    is rather complicated, but I think it is proving to be quite
    workable. The syntenic regions (containing the same genes) of mouse
    and human chromosomes have, of course been worked out in great
    detail. Assuming that the history of rearrangements can be worked out
    in a coherent scheme that matches the expected phylogenetic tree
    without undo complexity, that seems like an awfully strong evidence
    for common descent.

    Preston G.

    --
    Preston Garrison, Ph.D.