Re: ID science (subtopic 2)

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 16:20:12 EDT

    Burgy,

    You and I earlier agreed (on thread: ID Science (subtopic 1)) on what MN
    (methodological naturalism) was:

    I also said (re subtopic 2):

    > "ID advocates are free to advocate a theory that explicitly rejects MN, but
    > they should, I believe, label it with something other than the word
    > "science" alone. The label "ID science" would be one candid and honest way
    > to distinguish an ID theory from a normal scientific theory."

    You reply:

    > My observation is that they don't HAVE to reject MN to advocate the ID
    > premise. The intelligent agent need not be supernatural (unless one
    > considers human beings to be, in some sense, supernatural).

    It depends on what constitutes ID action. In what way, for instance, is ID
    action non-natural?

    Yes, ID proponents sometimes do suggest from time to time that there's no
    way to tell if the designer is a mere creature (member of the Creation) or
    the Creator. I think it is fair, however, to note that the ID movement is
    NOT really a champion of "Designer ET's." ID's favored Designer is NOT a
    mere creature. Dembski, in No Free Lunch, specifically argues for an
    unembodied Designer.

    Given that, I would suggest that the ID movement is not so much about the
    distinction between 'natural' and 'intelligent' causation (where, according
    to ID literature, intelligence = the ability to make purposeful choices) but
    more about the distinction between action by creatures (members of the
    Creation) and supernatural, form-conferring action by the Creator. In that
    case, ID does, it seems to me, need to reject MN in order to argue for its
    conclusion.

    Howard