Re: Historical evidence for Jesus

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 15:30:11 EST

    Walter Hicks writes:

    > I think that Jim's point that his exiting Christianity "was not a choice"
    is
    > well taken. Such changes seldom are, but rather come about due to a series
    of
    > input data that conflicts with original beliefs. As Sondra Brasile
    > said, much of
    > the credit can be given to the posts on ASA list, which portray the bible
    as an
    > almost worthless document insofar as scientific or historical accuracy is
    > concerned.

    Two comments about this note:

         (1) Jim's exiting Christianity certainly was a choice. No one has put a
    gun to his head and forced him to leave, as far as I can tell from the notes
    of his I have read since he announced his rejection of Christianity. If it
    was like reaching a "red light," he still had the choice of turning right or
    going through it, and red lights do turn green. Even if his change, as
    Walter supposes, came about "due to a series of input data that conflicts
    with original beliefs," the change is still a choice. So, I am puzzled that
    they think no choice was involved. Surely Jim and Walter believe in free
    will. Are we not responsible for entering on the paths we enter on to?

         (2) Walter may interpret many ASA postings to "portray the bible as an
    almost worthless document insofar as scientific or historical accuracy is
    concerned," but I think his statement is rhetorical overkill that does no
    justice to the many discussions on questions of science and history in the
    Bible carried out by people who are faithful to the Bible and to Christ. No
    one, in my reading of notes since I joined the list last March, or in any I
    contributed, has portrayed the Bible as a "worthless document" on ANY
    matter.

    Finally, a personal note:

         I have been struck by the many list members who have sought--I believe
    out of a sincere caring for Jim and a sensibility to his present spiritual
    and intellectual crisis--to help Jim think through his situation. Christian
    love, I believe, is at work here, and I also believe their efforts enjoy
    God's blessing. Jim and I have scrapped in the past, but I want you to
    know, Jim, that my heart and best wishes are with you. I also went through
    a period many years ago, when I had in good conscience to give up cherished
    beliefs, a decision that brought me to tears, but which intellectual honesty
    demanded. When I returned to faith many years later, it was with that
    maturity of age and life experiences that enhances a response to Grace's
    call. I pray some such experience for you, Jim, but however you proceed you
    must surely know that there are many on the list who care for your good;
    and, I believe, God will always be with you on your journey.

    Grace and peace,
    Bob Schneider