A request for help Re: Evolution & Identity of the ID designer

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 16:51:16 EST

    George Murphy wrote:

    > A very simple & broad statement of evolutionary theory is not hard to give:
    > Biological species change over long periods of time, with some
    >becoming extenct and some
    > new species arising from old. Various species are thus related to
    >one another. Such
    > ideas are, of course, not uniquely Darwinian.
    > Michael has correctly noted several ways in which such a
    >simple theory could be
    > falsified. (I waive for now the right to raise questions about the
    >falsification
    > criterion in view of the possibility of always defending a theory's
    >"hard core" with
    > auxiliary hypotheses.) This simple theory has not been falsified.
    >There is, in fact,
    > no serious question about its correctness or its character as a
    >scientific theory.
    > The question of _how_ evolution takes place is of course
    >more difficult. But we
    > would avoid a lot of wasted time & posturing if we would agree that
    >it _has_ taken
    > place.

    I would say, George, that this almost equivalent to saying that a
    theory of gravity is that
    objects (e.g. apples) always fall to the ground.

    The essence of a theory is that is a proposed mechanism for HOW
    something happens. Without
    that, it is just philosophy -- not science.

    For the most part, many on this list differ in practically no respect
    from my close Deist
    friend: "God does intervene in the physical universe -- end of
    story". So here we are in
    the same category as a Deist -------- That truly is what is what the
    "Science" posts on this
    list amount to. What a great way to win people to Jesus Christ!

    And, it absolutely _WOULD_ be possible to falsify your postulate, George.
    (For Gravity: Release a balloon filled with helium)
    For evolution: All that one has to do is show a species with no
    evident chain from a
    previous species. (Of course you would then claim incompleteness of
    the fossil record --
    would you not?)

    I am NOT "posturing". I am simply calling to task those who criticize
    creationists when
    there own theory does not satisfy their own scientific criteria. Am
    I incorrect? If so,
    how? (if I may ask a "how" question.)

    I am currently engaged in a discussion with people in a local
    Christian church. Some are
    scientists. Some are not. I cannot say that this ASA exchange has
    helped much in filtering
    out those precious few who do not already have an unobjective
    outlook ( "all possible
    "truths" should be considered" and evaluated).

    Does anyone out there know know of an OBJECTIVE treatment of both
    sides of the issues?

    (I do have copy of Howard Van Till's Recent ID=DI? paper. Certainly
    one of the most useful
    so-far!!!)

    Walt

    --