Re: views of scientists-help needed

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 13:04:15 EST

    John W Burgeson wrote:

    > George wrote: "Many have only hazy ideas about what evolution is as a
    > scientific theory, & others have already have the misconception that will
    > be reinforced by this definition. & this ambiguity is extremely
    > pertinent to the the success of what is essentially a bait and switch
    > operation."
    >
    > I think where you and I disagree most strongly on all this is that you
    > appear to see nefarious motivations (i.e. your "bait & switch" comment)
    > on the part of the loyal opposition and I do not.

            I think very few IDers, YECs &c have "nefarious motivations." I.e.,
    they are not saying "Of course we know that Darwinian evolution as a
    scientific theory doesn't imply rejection of divien action." But there is a
    considerable amount of naivete & carelessness.

    I agree with you that the web site could be improved in this area to

    > differentiate between "Darwinism" as an invalid philosophy and other
    > definitions.
    >
    > On another subject, I just checked out of the Iliff library a new book by
    > Michael Corey called "Evolution and the Problem of Natural Evil." Have
    > you (or anyone here) seen it and have comments. After reading just the
    > first chapter last night, I think it is going to be a significant
    > contribution to the dialog. I have noted that Van Till and Griffin are
    > both commented upon -- however I have not read those sections carefully
    > yet.

            I haven't read this yet & have a good deal on my plate now. To the
    general theodicy question I would just comment that
            a) process theology is too easy a solution, and
            b) (as I have said before) any theodicy in which the cross is not
    central isn't ultimately worth much.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy