Re: Why YEC?

From: Allen Roy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 03:50:25 EDT

    From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
    > Your post says nothing about the origin of comets, only that the Kuiper
    > Belt objects may have two sources. Are you assuming that _all_ objects
    > kicked out of the Kuiper Belt into smallish elliptical orbits have to be
    > comets? This is not required by the statement that short-term comets
    > originate in the Kuiper Belt.

    As I understand it, the abstract said that there are two theories for the
    origin of the Kuiper belt -- IF it originated during the "Accretional" time
    of the solar system then they MIGHT be like comets, and IF it originated as
    bits and pieces thrown off from some of the giant planets then they MIGHT be
    more like silicate asteroides. Then the abstract says that "to check
    the(se) suppositions we need high-resolution visible and near-infrared
    spectral data." Or, in other words, they don't know enough (need more data)
    about the Kuiper belt to determine if it is composed of icy comets or
    "silicate" asteroids. They propose that a space craft be sent to the Kuiper
    belt so that this puzzle can be resolved.

    Another YEC Astronomer professor has sent the following note:
          Allen, the two people that your friend discussed this with (a preacher
    and applied physicist) were a bit out of their field and were probably
    relying upon somewhat older creation references. I was bothered by the fact
    that creation literature seemed to be silent on the Kuiper belt. That is
    one reason why I wrote my article on comets (1997 TJ 11(3): 264-273). There
    I do discuss the Kuiper belt and the observations that your friend alludes
    to and caution fellow creationists that the Kuiper belt may indeed exist,
    along with some cautions that it may not.
          This is a major paper and it is on the AIG website, so I have to ask
    if your friend is so interested in what creationists teach how he missed
    this paper after four years. Furthermore, while the Kuiper belt was
    suggested 50 years ago, it was not welcomed by astronomers for more than 30
    years, because most thought that perturbations of the (as of yet unobserved)
    Oort cloud could account for short period comets. It was in the 1980's that
    numerical simulations showed that this was not possible, and so the need to
    dust off the Kuiper belt about 15 years ago. Therefore your friend's
    estimate of how long the Kuiper belt has been a viable theory is overstated.