Re: Saints (Was Re: Why YEC?)

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 03:16:17 EDT

    George answered my comments

    >PS: Although we cannot judge individuals, can we not say that even the most
    > sincere, well-meaning and in some instances at least even genuine
    Christians
    > who pray fervently to the Virgin Mary are involved in a lie and an
    idolatry?
    > And would we not suppose that demons enforce that darkness? If so, why
    > should evangelical deception and idolatry be any different?

       GM: This is well beyond the science-religion area but needs comment.
    There
     is nothing intrinsically false or idolatrous about my asking you to pray for
    me.
     Christians of all varieties often do this, requesting prayers for healing &c.
     Why is it then false or idolatrous to pray, "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray
    for
     us sinners now and at the hour of our death?" If I Tim.2:5 strikes the
    second
     practice, it also strikes the first.
             The problem there is not lying or idolatry but uncertainty. We have
    no
     assurance that departed saints hear our prayers (& I would add, some good
    reasons
     to believe that they don't hear anything) & no biblical invitation or
    command to
     pray to them.
             Such prayer is idolatrous if the idea behind it is that God really
    wants
     to zap us but that the saints (& especially Mary) love us & will soften God
    up.
     But that notion is not essential to the idea of praying to the saints.
             Praying to saints is not part of my own tradition and I wouldn't feel
     comfortable doing it (except in a very formal sense, as in the hymn "Ye
    Watchers
     and Ye Holy Ones"). But I don't think it's proper to condemn all who do so,
     especially if we don't know the attitudes and thoughts that accompany such
     prayer. >>

    I see that I was not clear. My point involves what I took to be understood by
    most of our list that in the Roman Catholic Church the Virgin Mary is not
    just another saint. She has been exalted to the point that functionally she
    is a veritable addition to the Trinity. It is this veritable god that is
    being prayed to. Regardless of how unidolatrous the official RC statement of
    doctrine about Mary may be, functionally she is an idol. People come to her
    where by all rights they should be going to God. If I am correct, then we
    have in these sincere prayers to Mary, prayers to an idol. If so, this is
    idolatry; and in a biblical sense is a practice which is a lie.

    It is to this over-exaltation of the Virgin Mary that I compare the
    "conservative" over-exaltation of the Bible. And, I believe there is some
    functional parallelism as well.

    Paul