Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: James W Stark (stark2301@voyager.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 14:44:18 EDT

    on 8/21/01 12:06 PM, John W Burgeson at burgytwo@juno.com wrote:

    > Vernon wrote: " I'm left wondering what you make of "I am the way, the
    > truth,
    > and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (Jn.14:6). "
    >
    > Fair question. I take it at face value. I do NOT, however, see it as
    > saying "only Christians" will "come to the father." I think Jesus (God)
    > is bigger than that.
    >
    > John Burgeson (Burgy)

    I have to comment on Vernon's quote. To me each person will interpret the
    Bible differently, because we are all self-referenced for what we will
    perceive as truth. Jesus wants us to be God-referenced.

    To me Jesus was not saying that he was God in that quote or that we must
    worship him. To be God-referenced a person must seek the truth beyond the
    truth perceived in h/h worldview as a self-referenced source of truth. He
    is metaphorically saying where we ought to seek truth. It is always beyond
    our personal worldview.

    Incidentally, the way does not have to be interpreted as one way.
    Continually seeking the truth creates a personal path built on many choices.
    Every choice should be guided by Jesus.

    Jim Stark