Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 12:06:36 EDT

    Vernon wrote: " I'm left wondering what you make of "I am the way, the
    truth,
    and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (Jn.14:6). "

    Fair question. I take it at face value. I do NOT, however, see it as
    saying "only Christians" will "come to the father." I think Jesus (God)
    is bigger than that.

    "Your mentioning Gosse's OMPHALOS is most appropriate at this time. From
    my reading of the Scriptures, your suggestion that the concept of
    'apparent age' must, necessarily, imply divine deceit, is incorrect."

    Interesting, because I argued just that point myself on this list about a
    year ago, based on Gosse's thesis. Please take a look at the materials I
    mentioned. I must admit I argued it more as "devil's advocate" than
    because I really held the position; George Murphy (I think) was the one
    that shot down my arguments most persuasively. (Not convincingly, George,
    but almost so).

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)