Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 10:11:08 EDT

    Vernon wrote: "The record of Jonah's experiences is part of the Canon of
    Holy Writ - experiences that are here clearly ratified by Jesus himself.
    Is it reasonable to believe that he would offer a _myth_ as the 'sign' of
    his own death and resurrection?"

    Short answer. Yes.

    If I were to plan a raft trip down the Mississippi, and told you I'd do
    it "just like Huckleberry did," you'd understand me and hardly be
    confused by my referring to a book of fiction rather than a history book.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)