Re: Homosexuality (a condition) and homosexual activities

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 09:59:22 EDT

    Iain posed some interesting points. I'll try to respond.

    He wrote: >>>(1) I still don't know how one is supposed to witness ones
    faith to a
    homosexual. With the example I gave of my past experience, I felt that I
    could not pretend the verses in Romans and Leviticus didn't exist. If
    I'm
    to share my faith, I can't really cover up the points that I might feel
    are
    unacceptable to the other person. If I did just tell the essentials, and
    they became a Christian, and then subsequently came across the Romans
    verse
    (for instance), then I think they might well feel a sense of betrayal
    "why
    didn't you tell me about this before?".>>>

    No reason to "pretend." If you have my outlook on those 2 verses, no
    problem. If you don't, then talk about them -- tell him of alternate
    views to yours.

    >>>(2) I think much of the reason for prejudice against homosexuals is
    that
    many people feel a strong sense of disgust at what they do. My wife is
    not
    at all a prejudiced person, but the idea of two women engaging in
    intimate
    sexual contact is one that disgusts her. She can't help the way she
    feels
    about this - it is inborn. I, as it happens, do not feel the same sense
    of
    revulsion about the idea of two men having similar intimate contact, but
    know plenty of heterosexual males who do (my father used to be totally
    revolted by such ideas). The point I would make is that the sense of
    disgust is so common that it can't be just written off as a blind
    prejudice - it is a violation and affront to what people regard as
    natural
    (i.e. the way they happen to be) - it is, using one of the translations
    of
    St. Paul "Inborn". >>>

    I don't think it is "inborn" at all, but taught. Just the way race
    attitudes are taught. We pick it up from the society we are part of.

    >>> Having said this, the question also has to be asked as
    to whether homosexuals feel the same sense of disgust at the idea of
    male/female sexual contact.>>>

    I really don't know about this. There may have been some surveys on it
    though. I suspect not, because persons with a homosexual condition are
    "taught" by society, as everyone else.

    Some of the lesbian couples I know are older ladies who were married,
    raised children, then after losing their spouses found a female partner.
    I have never heard any of them express revulsion at heterosexual
    activity, although none of them engages in it anymore.

    >>>Many of the moral issues revolve around the
    question as to whether homosexuality is "a condition" or a choice. Is a
    heterosexual who could not tolerate the idea of a homosexual relationship
    any different from a homosexual who could not tolerate the idea of a
    heterosexual relationship? We should not let our sense of disgust turn
    into
    prejudice. At the end of the day, disgust is not a good indicator of how
    make moral decisions.>>

    Quite agree, of course. Personally, I find the concept of male-male sex a
    "turnoff." That is what I was taught in my society, and that prejudice is
    deep in me. That may be one reason I hesitated so long before taking a
    stand as I have done (still getting interesting mail). I think I can
    better understand the attitudes of those who supported segregation in our
    society. That attitude was certainly not "inborn," but taught. I was
    fortunate in that respect; I was not "taught" that skin color was an
    attribute to hold in contempt.

    >>>... if you remained silent on what scripture says about homosexuality,
    and the person concerned
    subsequently found the passage concerned, would they not feel
    betrayed?>>>

    Probably. That's why a discussion of the issues is probably needed.

    >>> On the other hand - suppose they made a Christian commitment
    believing (because you told them so) that it's OK to be a homosexual in
    a monogamous and loving relationship, and it turns out that statement A.
    is actually the correct interpretation of scripture - that ALL
    homosexuality is
    perversion. Then would you not be doing harm by hiding this
    possibility?>>>

    I think you are asking if you would be "leading them into sin?" I think
    the answer must always be that we witness to Christ to others in order
    that they may have a God-relationship. How that works out for them must
    be between them and God. If they subsequently decide that their
    homosexual activity is sinful, they will (I hope) stop.

    In any case, I would not tell them -- on my say so -- that I have a final
    answer. All I can tell them is how I come down on the issue at the time
    of our discussion. That is why discussion id needed, and "hiding" is a
    bad idea.

    Thanks for the stimulus.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)