RE: Agriculture and oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 18:05:55 EDT

    Gordie,

    I don't think that "Christian churches" should do anything about this.
    However, Christians certainly should consider what options are available and
    formulate policies that are consistent with Christian stewardship and a
    concern for the poor and disenfranchised. There are enough scientists that
    are Christians that have the skills to lead the way in curing our excessive
    energy demands and to find ways to protect the poor from the inevitable
    massive dislocations that will result from a shrinking energy supply. If we
    don't, and chasing after the diminishing resources becomes a free for all,
    to the rich and powerful will go the spoils.

    For starters, we could find out what our energy demands are: how much energy
    do we need to commute, to heat and cool our homes and churches, to fly to
    conferences. How much energy do we require in the form of aluminum soft
    drink cans, having things transported to us (oranges from Florida,
    grapefruit from Texas, grapes from Chile). The list goes on.

    We could think about what it would take to change our life styles to reduce
    our energy consumption. Do we all need to live in suburbia? Do we continue
    to build homes as if there was an infinite supply of energy (windows facing
    north, homes built without the benefit of shade trees to provide cooling)?

    Some figures to ponder (source:
    http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/emis/tre_tp20.htm ) :

    In 1996, the per capita fossil fuel-related CO2 emission for the USA was 5.4
    metric tons of carbon per year. For Canada, the figure was 3.8 and for
    France 1.7. Compare this with China (0.76, but growing rapidly) and India
    (0.29).

    I'm not suggesting we should all live like Chinese or Indians, but the
    numbers are telling. One can also wonder what gives us, North American
    Christians the right to suck most of the oil and gas out of the earth's
    crust for our own enjoyment. If we were using these resources to spread the
    gospel, maybe we could make a case, but I don't think that all our energy
    expenses can be chalked up to that venture.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB