Re: On Pi and E

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 17:50:36 EDT

    George posted: " My major reason for considering this whole line of
    argument to be at best "mildly interesting" is, however, theological, and
    can be stated in 3 parts.

            1) Getting pi from Gen.1:1 & e from Jn.1:1 yields little of
    theological significance. It's supposed to prove that the Bible is
    divinely inspired but at most it could prove that those 2 verses are
    inspired. & one could even argue from the fact that there isn't any
    similar mathematical correspondence for other parts of scripture that
    _only_ those verses are inspired.

            2) The argument can be of value only for getting the attention
    of unbelievers and suggesting to them that the message of the Bible
    deserves some consideration. Has it done so? How many conversions have
    begun with this argument?

            3) If anybody does take this message seriously, it's going to be
    very easy for them to get the idea that pi and e are the really deep
    level of scripture hidden below the surface details about the history of
    Israel & the church - just as in _Contact_ pi is hidden below the primes
    and Hitler and
    the plans for the transit device. & this would be disastrous
    theologically, for the deep meaning of scripture is Jesus Christ.

    Total agreement (unusual between me & George). I will only observe that
    reason #3 is the key one, at least for me.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)