RE: conservative writers and evolution

From: Inge Frette (inge.frette@geologica.no)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 02:38:30 EST

    Hei Glenn,
    since you said that you needed to look up the writings of those
    theologians.
    In May 2000 this book was published

    Evolution, Scripture, and Science : Selected Writings
    by B.B Warfield (edited by Mark Noll & David Livingstone)
    Baker (publ. company)

    I find it interesting if Warfield supported evolution, because his defense
    of the total inerrancy of the Bible has had a major influence on American
    evangelical theologians.

    Regards from Inge

    At 06:11 13.11.00 +0000, glenn morton wrote:
    >Ted wrote:
    >
    > > I may have missed some of this thread, in which case someone may have
    > > already pointed this out. But I would accept Glenn's challenge to name
    > > conservative writers who accept the age of the earth and evolution, by
    > > naming these: BB Warfield, AA Hodge (not C Hodge), CH Strong, and J Orr.
    > > Now it may be that they were not "conservative" by some
    > > definition, or that
    > > they did not really accept "evolution", by some definition.
    > > Surely they all
    > > accepted the antiquity of the earth, and by reasonable
    > > definitions (I would
    > > argue), they were conservatives who accepted evolution.
    >
    >I appreciate the correction. I will have to go look up the writings of these
    >guys. Were they all from the late 1800s and early 1900s? There was a period
    >of time when the majority of conservative Christians accepted the age of the
    >earth. This was prior to the advent of Henry Morris and John Whitcomb. I
    >would say that never have the conservatives had a majority or anywhere near
    >a majority who accepted evolution.
    >

    >glenn
    >
    >see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm
    >for lots of creation/evolution information

    Inge Frette
    GEOLOGICA AS Phone : +47 51 87 58 15
    P.O.Box 8034 Fax : +47 51 87 58 01
    N-4003 STAVANGER E-mail: inge.frette@geologica.no