RE: Adam never met Eve

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 01:32:36 EST

    Marcio wrote:

    > If one believes in a literal *biblical* Eve, that would have been an
    > instantaneous speciation event with would cause a severe populational
    > bottleneck. That would have to be detectable using coalescent theory.

    Yep, and that is what many apologists believe. If there were a speciation
    event starting with the smallest possible population (2), then all the
    genetic variability we observe in humans would have to have evovled since
    that event. If it were within the past 60,000 years, I submit that
    coalescent theory would indeed see it very clearly for the vast majority of
    genes! It doesn't.

    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm