Re: What's missing

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 17:08:19 EST

    At 08:51 PM 2/26/00 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:
    >You shifted tenses on me, you sly hombre. You said "...I _was_ open to
    >YEC...in the early 1980s", then you ask me "...that you _are_ open..." I
    >like that, nice and subtle. :-)

    Yeah, I try to be sly. But the point remains. I was open to it. I am still
    open to it IF and ONLY IF someone can really substantively explain the
    scientific data within that paradigm. So far I haven't seen anyone do that.
    What I see is a lot of claims that the future will bring explanations.

    >If your question is "Have I ever believed the conventional view of
    >geology?", then, yes, when I was going through college in the 60s and
    >early 70s I bought into the entire naturalistic world view, including
    >becoming agnostic. I not only believed it, I lived it. Jesus had to
    >reach pretty far down into the sewer to get to me. When my wife
    >occasionally tells our children, or more recently our son-in-law, some of
    >what I used to be like, invariably their response is that they cannot
    >imagine such things about me. As you know, Glenn, Jesus really does
    >change lives.

    Yes, he changed mine.

    >Since becoming a Christian, I have wandered back and forth between OEC
    >and YEC maybe half a dozen times. You only changed views once; therefore
    >I must be six times more open-minded than you.

    Can you document this? At least I published. But OK I believe you. But
    does your inconstance mean that you cant figure out what data to believe?
    Is there any real data that positively supports a young earth? In other
    words what is the best evidence of a young earth?

    >If your question is "Am I open _now_ to a non-global flood view of the
    >world?", I would say that you and I are probably about equally
    >closed-minded - you prefer the non-global flood, I prefer the global
    >flood. I guess the main difference between the two of us is the way we
    >react to contrary data. I tend to shrug my shoulders and ignore it.

    God doesn't tell us to ignore our eyes. He, through John, told us that
    evidence was important. John cited that he had touched, seen and heard the
    Word. If it is alright for you to ignore data, then why isn't it ok for an
    atheist to ignore the data supporting the divinity of Christ? You can't
    expect them to behave better than you.

    >At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am right. :-)

    You may be right, but I then wonder why the data doesn't support you and
    you must, by your own admission, ignore the data?

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm