Re: Perelandra

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 17:47:46 EST

    > Here's my basic question: how can we continue to recognize the reality and
    significance of evil, which is so clearly presented in the Genesis story of the
    Fall and its aftermath, while also accepting physical death and human origins
    through evolution as part of God's good creation?

    Physical death as we know it now is tainted by sin. However, some sort of
    transformation seems to be necessary in going from earthly to eternal
    existence, as evidenced by Enoch and Elijah and possibly by the unusual
    features of the Lord's post-resurrection appearances.

    One possibility might be the situation in Out of the Silent Planet, in which
    unfallen creatures have some of the effects of Satan's attack, including death,
    without having sin.

    The most important point, however, is that God has created us and given us
    directions on how we should live. The method of creation has nothing to do
    with whether His laws are binding.

    >If the Garden of Eden was not a specific place in time nor an accurate
    representation of a situation that actually ever existed in human (and
    pre-human) evolution, how do we understand the aftermath of the Fall?

    God could have taken humans, created physically though evolution, and put them
    in a garden. At any rate, He put them into a state of communion with Himself
    which was broken through disobedience.

    > Has anyone seen a good critique of C.S. Lewis's ideas on human evolution and
    the Fall, one that would allow retention of Lewis's important theological
    insights without requiring one to slight evolution? My son is well aware of
    evolution, and is asking some very good questions, likely better than my
    answers will ever be, but I'm trying.

    Actually, my impression was that he was generally accepting evolution. E.g.,
    in Perelandra, when Ransom sees the human-like aquatic creatures while riding
    the fish after Weston, he speculates a bit on the evolution of inhabitants of
    Venus and whether it was like ours. Mere Christianity has some evolutionary
    speculations, suggesting that becoming a Christian could be viewed as an
    evolutionary next step for humanity. This is sort of an orthodox use of de
    Chardin's ideas although I do not know if there was direct influence.

    David Campbell