NAS statement

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 20:30:53 EST

    >I wrote a short article on the recent change to the
    >National Academy of Sciences statement
    >on evolution for a Sunday School class.
    >
    >Here is what I wrote. Did I get it right? Corrections/additions
    >to it welcomed. Where is the Simpson quotation from?
    >
    >I understand there have been some efforts to get the change rescinded.
    >Any news on this?

    There was an effort initiated to reverse the change that was made. This
    effort was spearheaded by Massimo Pigliucci from the University of
    Tennessee. His open letter was circulated to the ASA list and resulted in
    a rather vigorous exchange that involved Massimo, Will Provine and others.
    As far as I know there has been no indication that the NAS has any interest
    in reversing the decision. Genie Scott has spoken out quite strongly
    against the effort to restore the original language.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology
    Kansas State University