Re: AIDS questions

From: Massie (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 19:12:55 EST

    glenn morton wrote:

    > At 12:28 PM 1/7/00 -0700, Kamilla Ludwig wrote:
    > >Robert,
    > >
    > >So now I have one more question. What planet are these folks living on?
    > I can
    > >understand disagreements over data interpretation, etc., but if what you all
    > >have told me is true, the AIDS skeptics are the same sorts of agenda-driven,
    > >science blind dogmatic folk they aim to criticise.
    >
    > Absolutely. And that is the problem with much of what christians say is
    > apologetics.
    > >
    > >That's what I get for reading too much of one side of the issue.
    >
    > And this is an even worse problem. Christian laity of the conservative
    > bent rarely wants to read stuff that tells them that they are wrong. And so
    > they hear only one side of the creation/evolution area. Then their leaders
    > tell them that anyone who disagrees with us is of the Devil, has let
    > darkness overtake their thinking (something said of me by John Baumgardner
    > recently) or they are brainwashed. Under no circumstances is one to believe
    > than outsiders can be trusted or believed.
    >
    > When I was a young-earth creationist, I didn't want to read stuff I had no
    > answer for either--and I didn't. Hearing only one side of the coin is
    > exactly how cults maintain control over their members. Their leaders don't
    > want to think about other alternatives and they don't want their followers
    > hearing anything negative either. The only way to combat such control by
    > someone is to read both sides of an issue.
    >
    > glenn
    >
    > Foundation, Fall and Flood
    > Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    > http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm
    >
    > Lots of information on creation/evolution

    Excuse me but I can somehow remember scriptures about not judging
    others. While we can and should judge actions we are commaned to not
    judge others. Somehow these kind of statements I hear from YEC's such
    as "your from the devil" cry out as judgemental.

    There is a big difference with saying " I believe your thinking is
    wrong" and "I believe you are from the devil" My exprience with them is
    that passing condemation on those who disagree is part of the party
    line.

    Bert M