Re: Exceptional Measures

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 16:39:11 EST

    George Murphy wrote:

    > Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:
    > > If you can see God's
    > > wisdom, power, and glory in this, good for you. I would guess, though, that
    > > you present some circular arguments and that it is unlikely that it will
    > > bring (m)any to realize the saving power of Jesus's death on the cross.
    > > But, God does work in mysterious ways. ...................................
    > I think a general caution about the idea in the first sentence is in order.
    > I appreciate the sentiment, but unfortunately people can see "God's" - i.e., whatever
    > God they believe in - wisdom, power, & glory in all sorts of strange things. There
    > are people who imagine that they're "Christian" who think that God's power would be
    > displayed in exterminating one or another ethnic group.
    > I am NOT NOT NOT saying that anyone in this discussion has such ideas: That is
    > simply a _reductio ad absurdum_ of the theory that it's good if anyone thinks they see
    > God's wisdom &c in anything at all. In fact, as Chuck points out - & as the Gospel of
    > John & I Cor.1:18-31 make clear - the real God's wisdom, power, & glory are shown in
    > Christ crucified, & any of our ideas about those things have to be tested against that
    > standard.
    > Shalom,
    > George
    >
    > George L. Murphy
    > gmurphy@raex.com
    > http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/

    Hello George,

    I'm not sure where your comments are intended to lead us. It seems to me
    that Christians in general are woefully short on understanding the
    matter of God's sovereignty! He does what pleases him. It has pleased
    him to endow us with intellect in order that we might test all matters
    that come our way, and respond with integrity.

    Am I not correct in seeing the 'Genesis 1:1 - A4 mystery' as a prime
    instance of God working 'in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform'?

    Shalom!

    Vernon