Re: Glen Morton Waco Conference reports

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 18:00:16 EDT

    At 02:55 PM 09/30/2000 -0400, you wrote:
    >http://home.flash.net/~mortongr/wacoconf.htm
    >
    >Very interesting reading

    yes indeed. Glenn Morton used to be in this group--a Christian theist
    arguing the evolutionist viewpoint--and I miss him.

    Below is a portion of the conclusion that I liked very much. I very much
    agree with this point: "Many in science seem to want to push their
    opponents away and not beat them at their own game. That looks and is
    tacky." Amen. The ID and other creationist arguments evaporate in the
    sunlight. Lenny Flank is an excellent biologist, he's got a wonderfully
    informative website, but he *refuses* to engage the scientific arguments
    for and against ID, etc. He wastes his time sneering and ridiculing. It
    doesn't help. I pleaded with him for quite a while to stop and then left
    his group in disgust. He is worse than those scientists who refuse to be
    involved in the debate at all. It is time to stop taking the "ignore them
    and they'll go away" approach. Yes, we have to keep them out of schools,
    because religion doesn't belong in public schools, but the various
    permutations of creationism need to be openly debated in the public arena.

    And that, boys and girls, is why I am here.

    Susan

    -------
    My personal objection to the ID movement is what was pointed out over and
    over throughout the conference during question and answer sessions. They
    present no scenario, they don't suggest any new way of doing science, and
    they avoid verification and falsification. They want to wind the scientific
    world without doing the hard and risky work of actually telling us what
    happened. They are a movement without any cause for which to fight. They
    have no unifying principle. Because of this, they are a broken reed which
    many Christians wish to lean upon. They offer nothing of substance, but like
    the young-earth creationists they just offer wrong reasons to disbelieve
    what modern science is showing. Christian acceptance of this movement will
    be viewed poorly in future years.</P>

    <P> What needs to be done is present carefully crafted arguments in
    forums just like the one that they put on at Baylor. They, unlike the Ken
    Ham and ICR crowd, at least were willing to invite their opponents to the
    table in a non-adversarial/non-spectacle format. Many in science seem to
    want to push their opponents away and not beat them at their own game. That
    looks and is
    tacky.</P>

    </P>John Baumgardner's comment that the naturalists were dominating the
    conference was a telling comment about how the theist position fared during
    this conference. It was sad to see Steve Meyer, a friend with whom I worked
    at ARCO back in the 80s standing there trying to avoid aswering a question
    by saying that his argument was restricted to the origin of life, and saying
    it over and over. It did not show any robustness to this thesis. It was sad
    to see Behe not answer a question seriously when he was asked what he would
    want science to do differently. (He was asked what he would do if he had
    control of all the funding. Ans. keep it himself. And then he did say that
    he wanted someone else to do research in a lab to support his theory. Why
    wouldn't he want to do his own research?) It was sad to see the 'deer in
    headlights' look on Dembski's face as he faced a forest of hands wanting to
    criticize his theory. And the critics were those like Ide Trotter and John
    Baumgardner who should have agreed with him. And I would point you to this,
    from a Christian mother who home schools and with whom I am now having a
    conversation via e-mail. She didn't want her name used because she didn't
    want any crank e-mail. (She is a bit afraid of the mail she might get from
    Christians on this!).</P>

    <P>She said:</P>

    <P>> Even churches that don't support one view over another don't bother to
    > address the faith-shaking issues that college kids will face: I can
    > imagine many of those professors we heard at the conference skinning
    > alive the believers in their classes. Churches do a good job of giving
    > kids the spiritual tools they need for a fulfilling relationship with
    > Jesus, helping them to steer their spiritual boat, so to speak, but they
    > don't give them any intellectual tools. Steering the boat becomes moot if
    > the the believer's boat is on the verge of sinking.</P>

    <P>>I am not sure why youth directors don't perceive this need except that
    >perhaps the kids themselves don't perceive it. In the warm embrace of
    >their youth group, they aren't facing many intellectual challenges and so
    >don't even know about the minefields that await them. Perhaps the
    >majority of youth don't plan to do much thinking at college anyway. I
    >don't know, but from your website and my own anecdotal experience, I
    >think this is an issue that churches need to address.</P>

    <P>The conference was a success as far as educating the Christian community
    but
    not in the way that the organizers thought it would. This mother, who is a
    home schooler is frustrated and scared by what Christian education is doing
    to her children! And so should we all be scared.</P>