Response to Baylor

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 12:57:22 EDT

    Following is the response of a member of congress to the protesting
    professors of Baylor. I predict most Americans will eventually react
    similarly to attempts to dismiss ID as "creationism". So keep up the good
    work Susan.

    Bertvan

    http://www.arn.org/docs/idushouse_700.htm

    Mr. SOUDER. Mr. Speaker, on June 1, I received a letter that was written by
    seven members of the biology department and one professor of psychology from
    Baylor University in response to my co-hosting a recent conference on
    intelligent design, the theory that an intelligent agency can be detected in
    nature, sponsored by the Discovery Institute.

    The professors denounced intelligent design as pseudo science and advocated
    what is bluntly called the materialistic approach to science.

    Mr. Speaker, I am appalled that any university seeking to discover truth, yet
    alone a university that is a Baptist Christian school, could make the kinds
    of statements that are contained in this letter. Is there position on
    teaching about materialistic science so weak that it cannot withstand
    scrutiny and debate?

    Intelligent design theory is upheld by the same kind of data and analysis as
    any other theory to determine whether an event is caused by natural or
    intelligent causes; just as a detective relies on evidence to decide whether
    a death was natural or murder, and an insurance company relies on evidence to
    decide whether a fire is an accident or arson. A scientist looking at, say,
    the structure of a DNA molecule goes through exactly the same reasoning to
    decide whether the DNA code is the result of natural causes or an intelligent
    agent.

    Today, qualified scientists are reaching the conclusion that design theory
    makes better sense of the data. Influential new books are coming out by
    scientists like molecular biologist Behe, Darwin's Black Box, the Free Press,
    and mathematician William Dembski, The Design Interference, Cambridge
    University Press, which point out the problems with Darwinian evolution and
    highlight evidence for intelligent design in the university.

    The tone of the letter I received seems to suggest that my congressional
    colleagues and I were unsuspecting honorary co-hosts in a conference on
    intelligent design. That is not the case. My good friend, the gentleman from
    Florida (Mr. Canady), chairman of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the
    Constitution has considered holding a congressional hearing on the bias and
    viewpoint discrimination in science and science education. Ideological bias
    has no place in science and many of us in Congress do not want the government
    to be party to it.

    The gentleman from Florida (Mr. Canady) approached several people, including
    the Discovery Institute, about plans for such a hearing. The people at
    Discovery suggested that instead we allow them merely to put on a modest
    informational briefing on intelligent design. That is exactly what happened,
    and we regarded the result as very valuable.

    Nevertheless, many of us continue to be concerned about the unreasoning
    viewpoint discrimination in science. This letter dismisses those who do not
    share the philosophy of science favored by the authors as frauds. It is
    ironic, however, that the authors do not ever actually get around to
    answering the substantive arguments put forward by people at the Discovery
    Institute. The authors support a philosophy of science they call
    materialistic science. The key phrase in the letter is that we cannot
    consider God's role in the natural phenomenon we observe. Yet this assumption
    is merely asserted without any argument.

    How can the authors of this letter be so confident that God plays no role in
    the observable world? Once we acknowledge that God exists, as these
    professors presumably do since they teach as a Christian university, there is
    no logical way to rule out the possibility that God may actually do something
    within the universe He created.

    In addition, the philosophy of science the authors talk about is just that, a
    philosophy. It is not itself science, even according to the definition of
    science put forward by the authors themselves. They state, for example, that
    all observations must be explained through empirical observations. I am not
    sure what that means but I do know this: This statement itself is not
    verifiable by observation or by methods of scientific inquiry. It is rather a
    philosophical statement.

    If they prefer it to the alternative that they suppose it advanced by the
    Discovery Institute folks, then the preference itself cannot be based on
    science. It is a difference of philosophy, but they are biologists not
    philosophers. They have no special authority in philosophy, even the
    philosophy of science.

    Even more egregiously, they say that God cannot be proved or disproved. Now
    there is a philosophical statement for you. Of course many philosophers agree
    with it, but there are philosophers of stature who disagree with it, too. Why
    should the philosophical viewpoint of a group of biologists enjoy privileged
    status?

    And then there was Darwinism. This letter treats Darwinism as a
    straightforwardly scientific position despite the criticism advanced by many
    responsible, informed people that Darwinism itself rests not on demonstrable
    facts but rather on controversial philosophical premises. In other words,
    serious people make a case against Darwinism, precisely the case that
    Baylor's biologists themselves are trying to make against intelligent design.

    Yet the Baylor biologists simply ignore these criticisms. One senses here not
    a defense of science but rather an effort to protect, by political means, a
    privileged philosophical viewpoint against a serious challenge.

    In digging into this matter further, it turns out that an international
    conference related to this topic, the Nature of Nature, was held recently at
    Baylor University. It was hosted by the Polanyi Center at Baylor and
    sponsored by the Discovery Institute and the John Templeton Foundation. A
    number of world-class scientists participated in the event, and contrary to
    the assertions made in this letter, advocates of intelligent design, as well
    as materialism, presented their ideas publicly. The authors of this letter
    have been part of an intense effort to close down that center, which was
    founded in part to explore these issues.

    I would like to insert the rest of this statement in the Record, as well as
    the letter from the professors at Baylor University.

    I would like to reference the words of the Israeli statesman, Shimon Peres:
    He said, "Science and lies cannot coexist. You don't have a scientific lie,
    and you cannot lie scienifically. Science is basically the search of
    truth--known, unknown, discovered, undiscovered--and a system that does not
    permit the search for truth cannot be a scientific system. Then again,
    science must operate in freedom. You cannot have free research in a society
    that doesn't enjoy freedom. . . . So in a strange way, science carries with
    it a color of transparency, of openness, which is the beginning of democracy
    . . ."

    Dr. Bruce Alberts, President of the National Academy of Sciences made a
    recent speech where he said "Scientists, as practitioners, teach important
    values. These include honesty, an eagerness for new ideas, the sharing of
    knowledge for public benefit, and a respect for evidence that requires
    verification by others. These 'behaviors of science' make science a catalyst
    for democracy. Science and democracy promote similar freedoms. Science and
    democracy accommodate, and are strengthened by, dissent. Science's
    requirement of proof resembles democracy's system of justice. Democracy is
    buttressed by science's values. And science is nurtured by democracy's
    principles."

    There seems to be a tension between science as democratic, welcoming new
    ideas and dissent--and science as a lobby group, seeking to impose its
    viewpoint upon others. As the Congress, it might be wise for us to question
    whether the legitimate authority of science over scientific matters is being
    misused by persons who wish to identify science with a philosophy they
    prefer. Does the scientific community really welcome new ideas and dissent,
    or does it merely pay lip service to them while imposing a materialist
    orthodoxy?

    Only a small percentage of Americans think the universe and life can be
    explained adequately in purely materialistic terms. Even fewer think real
    debate on the issue ought to be publicly suppressed.

    I ask my colleagues to join with me in putting aside unfounded fears to
    explore the evidence and truthfulness of the theories that are being
    presented by those on both sides of this debate. I want to thank Philip
    Johnson of the University of California at Berkeley, Robert * * * of
    Princeton University, and others in drafting this response.