Dembski and Actual Specified Complexity

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 10:55:45 EDT

    Richard Wein wrote:

    RW> Paul, do you have any examples of calculations
    RW>demonstrating the existence of CSI in nature?

    This is not a trivial question. Here's a quote from
    Dembski:

    [Quote]

    Thus, to claim that laws, even radically new ones, can produce
    specified complexity is in my view to commit a category
    mistake. It is to attribute to laws something they are
    intrinsically incapable of delivering-indeed, all our evidence
    points to intelligence as the sole source for specified
    complexity. Even so, in arguing that evolutionary algorithms
    cannot generate specified complexity and in noting that
    specified complexity is reliably correlated with intelligence,
    I have not refuted Darwinism or denied the capacity of
    evolutionary algorithms to solve interesting problems. In the
    case of Darwinism, what I have established is that the
    Darwinian mechanism cannot generate actual specified
    complexity. What I have not established is that living things
    exhibit actual specified complexity. That is a separate
    question.

    [End Quote - WA Dembski,
    <http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/19990913_explaining_csi.html>]

    Of course, I disagree that there has been any establishment
    that "the Darwinian mechanism cannot generate actual specified
    complexity", and Paul's "intelligent agency by proxy" defense
    implicitly concedes that point. But of more immediate
    interest is Dembski's identification of the assertion to be
    established, "that living things exhibit actual specified
    complexity". Dembski asserts in "Science and Design" and
    later in "Intelligent Design" that this is so, but as Richard
    has pointed out, there are no examples given by Dembski where
    he "[did] the calculation", as Dembski commands at the end of
    "The Design Inference". The references that Paul gives may
    have contributed to Dembski's development of his Design
    Inference, but since one of Dembski's claims is that his
    Design Inference is a novel and rigorous methodology, it
    follows that those other references cannot be claimed to shed
    light on whether "actual specified complexity" is found as a
    property of living systems. That has to be done either by
    Dembski or someone applying his Design Inference specifically.

    If I am reading Richard correctly, one of the relevant issues
    is developing a probability measure for an actual case where
    natural selection is hypothesized to have acted. IIRC,
    Richard says that this is difficult to impossible to do. In
    that case, it falls to Dembski to demonstrate that such
    probability estimates are feasible, not to Richard to prove
    that they are not. Under the view that natural selection as a
    cause is treated as a chance hypothesis, application of TDI to
    cases of natural selection can only proceed if such measures
    are practicable.

    Dembski shows in "TDI" and "ID" that science already admits
    explanation in the mode of design. What is desired is not to
    identify ordinary design, where we have knowledge of similar
    designers and the effects they produce, but rather to
    establish rarefied design, where we have no evidence or
    knowledge of a designer actually operating to produce the
    effects claimed for it. Dembski apparently thinks that
    analogy to ordinary design is sufficient to establish rarefied
    design. That's his privilege. No one else need accept that
    by necessity.

    Wesley