Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 23:41:24 EDT

    In a message dated 9/27/2000 9:54:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    Bertvan@aol.com writes:

    > Hi Howard,
    > I enjoyed your piece. I have no objection "fully gifted creation", as long
    > as
    > the "gift" isn't defined as "chance variation and natural selection".

    That's quite a dogmatic view given the evidence that chance variation and
    natural selection can explain so much. But I guess there are always those who
    reject science when it interferes with their faith.

    > agree with much of what you write, but I argue on the side of ID, and you
    > count yourself among its critics. I suppose you feel religious beliefs
    > pose
    > a threat to science, and I'm convinced the real threat to science is
    > materialism. Our understanding of evolution will never progress as long as
    > we view life as a collection of inanimate pieces of matter.

    So far our understanding has progressed quite well. But life is hardly seen
    as an inanimate piece of matter so that would seem to be a strawman argument.

    > The evolution of the biosphere, cultures and economies should give us a hint
    > of how organic evolution might have occurred.

    Indeed, symbiosis has been shown to play a likely role in the origins of the
    mytochondria and are considered quite relevant in biology. Hardly what you
    seem to imply though

    Those systems are designed by

    > the "intelligence" of the individual components. They are the cumulative
    > result of individual choices. The pieces of the system routinely function
    > according to rules, habit or instinct, with no "intelligence" required.
    > Stability of the system requires it. Yet each piece has the ability to
    > occasionally act spontaneously and creatively. (free will)

    I am glad that you place "intelligence" inside the quotes where they truely
    belong. After all since ID cannot exclude natural selection as the
    "intelligent" designer, it seems that intelligence covers a large range of
    possibilities.

    > If the cell was created by symbiosis, symbiosis is a collection of
    > individual
    > acts. All life gives evidence of some ability to make choices. (Some
    > admittedly more limited than others. However, bacteria can be observed
    > pursuing, devouring and escaping from each other.) Evidence is emerging
    > that
    > DNA makes choices.

    Evidence is emerging that organisms make choices. But your arguments start to
    sound more and more as that of an evolutionists.

    > Science can not, at the moment, deal with free will and creativity. Some
    > people would even regard them as supernatural. Whatever mind is, evidence
    > exists that mind can affect physical matter. (Biofeedback and the placebo
    > effect, for instance.)

    Biofeedback affects known pathways, it's hardly evidence of a supernatural
    "free will or creativity". These are quite well understood in terms of
    physiology and biology.

    > There is room in "free will" for anyone's definition of God. (could be
    > God's
    > will)

    Giving free will a truely meaningless meaning. At least at a scientific level
    but if I understand you correctly you are not that interested in that aspect?