Re: RM&NS and the whale (was But is it science)

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 22:14:40 EDT

    In a message dated 9/24/2000 7:13:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    FMAJ1019@aol.com writes:

    << << phyletic (gradual) evolution accomplishing a major morphologic
        transition and hence offers no evidence that the gradualistic model
        can be valid.' (Stanley, S.M., "Macroevolution," 1979, p.39)

        (Denton, 1985, pp.177,182).

    A bit outdated it seems. And furthermore it seems that Stanley was arguing
    for punctuated equilibrium

    "> |Other scientist are even more candid. Stanley of John Hopkins writes:
    |> |"The known fossil record fails to document a single example of
    |> |phyletic evolution accomplishing a major morphologic transition and
    |> |hence offers no evidence that gradualistic model can be valid.
    |> |(Stanley 1979 p. 39)
    |>
    |> This one I am familiar with. Did you read the rest of Stanley's
    |> book? You know, the part where he argues that what the evidence
    |> actually shows, instead, is transitions in the fossil record that are
    |> accomplished in intergrading, but faster, steps between species, rather
    |> than constant-rate intergradations. Species change episodically, in
    |> terms of morphology, rather than at a more continuous rate all the
    |> time. Even so, there are still fine intergradations observed between
    |> them when the record
    |> is sampled in sufficient detail. Stanley is not saying transitional
    |> fossils are absent, he is saying that the transitional fossils known
    |> show that the change is episodic.
    |>
    |You are describing Punctuated Equilibrium.

    Yes, exactly. That is what Stanley was talking about when he says "phyletic
    evolution" and "gradualistic model" in that quote -- in
    order to contrast it with punctuated equilibrium." >>

    Forgot the reference

    http://x67.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=643567233.3