Re: genetic drift & RM&NS (was Blood clotting and IC'ness?)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 18:17:44 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:07:04 EDT, Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

    [...]

    BV>The only answerable question I found in your post is "What is a Darwinist".
    >I define a Darwinist as those believing evolution can be explained by
    >"chance variation and natural selection". Many of them want to add, "plus
    >drift". I've never figured out what "drift" was other than more "chance
    >variation", so it's ok with me.

    Genetic drift is not so much "chance variation" but a way of bypassing
    RM&NS altogether. It is the fixing of genes in a small population by purely
    stochastic (~statistical) factors. For example, a favourable gene in a small
    population might be eliminated by a chance event like the animal bearing it
    being killed by lightning:

            "Genetic drift is any change in gene frequency that results from
            chance and not from selection pressures. It is a statistical
            phenomenon that depends on the size of the gene pool and is only
            important in small, isolated populations ... You can simulate this
            phenomenon by flipping coins. After many trials, one expects heads
            to have turned up as often as tails. .... after four trials one would
            not be surprised to have flipped all heads ... In a population, let
            allele A represent heads and allele a represent tails. If many trials
            correspond to many individuals (a large gene pool), we can see at
            once that the variance in such a large population is negligible and
            that the allele frequencies of A or a will not be changed by chance
            alone. However, in a small population, the variance may be large
            and an allele may even be lost by chance (as when all heads were
            tossed-the tails were lost). Hence, in small populations that are not
            subject to frequent immigration, genetic drift can be an effective
            agent of evolutionary change. This type of evolutionary change is
            random, so there is no way to predict what direction it might take.
            Harmful mutations may even be retained and spread in the
            population in this way." (Boolootian R.A. & Stiles K.A. "College
            Zoology," 1981, pp.669-670).

    I mentioned how in one of my labs we simulated RM&NS and then Genetic
    Drift in reducing populations. It was quite amazing and counter-intuitive
    how RM&NS was overridden by Drift as the population got smaller.

    The discovery of Genetic Drift effectively rendered Darwinism untestable,
    and hence unscientific, as Patterson pointed out:

            "Darwinian evolution, by natural selection, predicts that organisms
            are as they are because all their genes have been and are being
            subjected to selection, those that reduce the organism's success
            being eliminated, and those that enhance it being favoured. This is a
            scientific theory, for these predictions can be tested. 'Non-
            Darwinian' or random evolution predicts that some features of
            organisms are non-adaptive, having neutral or slightly negative
            survival value, and that the genes controlling such features are
            fluctuating randomly in the population, or have been fixed because
            at some time in the past the population went through a bottleneck,
            when it was greatly reduced. When these two theories are
            combined, as a general explanation of evolutionary change, that
            general theory is no longer testable. Take natural selection: no
            matter how many cases fail to yield to a natural selection analysis,
            the theory is not threatened, for it can always be said that these
            failures of selection theory are explained by genetic drift. And no
            matter how many supposed examples of genetic drift are shown to
            be due, after all, to natural selection, the neutral theory is not
            threatened, for it never pretended to explain all evolution."
            (Patterson C., "Evolution", 1978, p.70)

    Of course just as undirected genetic changes like Genetic Drift can be
    decisive in small populations, so could *directed* genetic changes
    implemented by an Intelligent Designer in small populations!

    "The most obvious contrasts between the darwinian view of the patterns
    and the rates of evolution, and the evidence that has since been
    documented by the fossil record.... Darwin used the only illustration in the
    first edition of The Origin of Species to explain his hypothesis that the
    patterns of evolution over hundreds of millions of generations were the
    same as those at the level of populations and species. In fact, they are
    clearly distinct in all taxonomic groups. Evolution at the level of
    populations and species might, in some cases, appear as nearly continuous
    change accompanied by divergence to occupy much of the available
    morphospace. However, this is certainly not true for long-term, largescale
    evolution, such as that of the metazoan phyla, which include most of the
    taxa that formed the basis for the evolutionary synthesis. The most striking
    features of large-scale evolution are the extremely rapid divergence of
    lineages near the time of their origin, followed by long periods in which
    basic body plans and ways of life are retained. What is missing are the
    many intermediate forms hypothesized by Darwin, and the continual
    divergence of major lineages into the morphospace between distinct
    adaptive types." (Carroll R.L., "Towards a new evolutionary synthesis,"
    Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 2000, Vol. 15, pp.27-32)