Examples of natural selection as cause of events with CSI property

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 03:53:10 EDT

    Let me restate my position, since there appears to be some
    confusion concerning what I was trying to get across.

    First, CSI is defined not only for instances meeting the
    universal small probability bound of 500 bits, but can be
    justified for lower complexity values as well (see Dembski's
    "The Design Inference", section 6.5, "Local and universal
    small probabilities").

    Second, natural selection is noted to be able to accumulate
    information none other than William Dembski (see his 1997 NTSE
    paper, "Intelligent Design as a Theory of Information").

    With these two pieces of information, it becomes apparent that
    any instance identified as showing natural selection in
    operation also shows natural selection as the cause of an
    event with the property of CSI. (I don't want to bother with
    the semantic arguments over whether CSI is "generated" or
    "transformed" in such cases; it makes no difference to the
    point.)

    The only point in question is "how complex is the CSI which
    natural selection is known to cause?" We know that the
    information is specified, since the side information that
    tells us what selective pressure was operative enables us
    to produce a specification. It is only the complexity
    measure that is at issue.

    Natural selection, though, is notoriously difficult to
    empirically isolate as a mechanism of action. The level of
    evidence needed to both implicate natural selection and to
    exclude genetic drift is high. Indirect evidence, such as the
    presence of linkage disequilibrium in a population, serves as
    an indicator of the action of natural selection, but
    biologists tend to want to see a clear relation between a
    cause of selection and an effect in distribution of traits in
    a population.

    Because of this problem in unambiguous identification of
    natural selection in action, our examples of natural selection
    as a causal process are also limited. Nevertheless, there do
    exist examples. Various antibiotic resistant strains of
    bacteria, finch beak size changes, and nylon-digesting bacteria
    all show natural selection in action.

    So, what are the complexity levels associated with each of
    these? It is a good question, and one that must await some
    clarifying explication from William Dembski. Some time ago,
    Paul Nelson mentioned that Dembski was examining known
    instances of natural selection with the intent to show that
    all such known cases were caught at the HP or IP nodes of his
    explanatory filter. That is one reason that I pointed out in
    my review of TDI that such an exercize does not exclude
    natural selection in principle from causing events with higher
    complexity levels. However, it would be interesting to see
    what Dembski's completely worked-out calculations for these
    cases look like.

    It is especially interesting to consider the effect that use
    of a local small probability would have upon classification of
    an event. In that case, fewer events would go into the IP bin
    and more would go into the DES bin. Further, if one excludes
    from the analysis the putative causal hypothesis (as Dembski
    does for his informal examples), fewer events would be found
    to go into the HP bin, and more would go into the DES bin.
    The Explanatory Filter and its instantiation as the Design
    Inference does not yield a static mapping of events into
    categories. Instead, which events go into which categories
    changes with changes in the background knowledge applied. Nor
    does the DES bin act like a black hole; analysis of the same
    event with more complete information can move categorization
    from DES to HP or IP.

    What about instances of adaptive features for which we do not
    have overwhelming evidence that natural selection in
    particular caused them?

    Taking it as possible that adaptive features of organisms are
    designed and installed by an intelligent agent via a mechanism
    other than natural selection means that we cannot use as
    examples of the efficacy of NS those phenomena in question,
    unless and until we have in hand the same kind of evidence
    that suffices for Galapagos finch beak changes. This may
    simply never be available. But if all that is available for
    the alternative hypothesis of ID is the simple fact of
    CSI_500, then I doubt that many biologists will feel compelled
    to exclude natural selection as a live possibility on those
    grounds alone.

    What we are then left with is an argument that we should
    exclude from consideration a mechanism of generating solutions
    that we can observe to happen in modern populations and which
    produces CSI at lower complexity levels during our brief and
    spotty periods of observation in favor of a mechanism which
    has no independent evidence of operation and which is not
    currently observable. (That is, the intelligent agent
    putatively responsible for the biological system under
    question is not known from current observation or from
    independent evidence of the period in question.) I think that
    such an argument will find it rough going to convince
    knowledgeable people of its merits.

    We should do the calculations to determine the CSI level of
    various examples of NS in action, or general "descent with
    modification" in action. Things like bacteria digesting nylon
    with novel enzymes or the emergence of the impedance-matching
    apparatus of the mammalian middle ear need to be explored
    quantitatively. A spread of CSI levels may indicate an
    approach to the CSI_500 level that Dembski sets, and indicate
    that no essential qualitative difference exists between the
    capability of natural evolutionary algorithms and intelligent
    agency.

    It would focus the discussion wonderfully if either Paul or
    Bill would provide a worked example of running some scenario
    involving natural selection through the Design Inference. We
    are urged to "do the calculation" at the end of TDI, but there
    seems to be a dearth of serious examples with a complete set
    of calculations per each.

    Every example of natural selection known produces CSI at some
    local small probability level (cf. TDI, section 6.5). In cases
    where the causal process is not known with certainty, finding
    that the event in question has CSI at some high level is
    entirely ambiguous concerning whether natural selection or
    intelligent agency is the cause.

    Wesley