Re: Its all over for ID-the ulitmate thought of evolution has been thought!

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 18:09:14 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Its all over for ID-the ulitmate thought of evolution has been thought! Here it is:

            "Putting the matter bluntly, those of our possible ancestors who had
            the sorts of features that have been passed down to us-bipedalism,
            large brains, manual dexterity, sociality, and so forth-tended to
            survive and reproduce. And those of our possible ancestors who did
            not have these sorts of features did not." (Ruse M.,
            "Homosexuality: A Philosophical Inquiry," Basil Blackwell: Oxford
            UK, 1988, p.131)

    Wow! What an insight. What hope has ID against such iron logic? All we
    can do is slap our foreheads and utter T.H. Huxley famous remark on
    reading Darwin's theory for the first time "How stupid of me not to have
    thought of that", and then try to negotiate ID's terms of surrender! :-)

    Mind you it has a close rival in Helena Cronin's similar mighty Darwinist
    thought:

            "All this apparent design has come about without a designer.
            No purpose, no goals, no blueprints. Natural selection is simply
            about genes replicating themselves down the generations.
            Genes that build bodies that do what's needed-seeing, running,
            digesting, mating-get replicated; and those that don't, don't."
            (Cronin H., "The Evolution of Evolution," TIME, Summer
            1997/98, p.80)

    Isn't it wonderful the effect that immersion in Darwinist thinking has on the
    mind (or should I say M.I.N.D. = Memetic Internal Network Distributor?).

    BTW Ruse's quote in this tagline isn't bad either.

    "Here, I assume without proof that natural selection was the key
    evolutionary mechanism and that, consequently, the organic world is to be
    understood as highly adapted." (Ruse M., "Homosexuality: A Philosophical
    Inquiry," Basil Blackwell: Oxford UK, 1988, p.131)