Re: Randomness & Purpose [wasRe: Piecemeal genetic differences as support for macroe

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 16:34:51 EDT

    Dear Marcio

    MP>In some sense I did it when I compared a single event (the coin toss)
    and the collective outcome (the frequency distribution). However, I am
    not
    sure if there is such distinction. Both are generated by the same
    processes.

    bw> I am no scientist but I think your last two sentences above are very
    important. It is like the error claiming a cause and effect between sets
    of data without hard evidence of the relationship. For example, for years
    it was said that Paris fashons skirt hem length was predictive of the Dow
    Jones Industrial Average and all kinds of cause and effect was suggested,
    such as short skirts caused aged businessmen to be optimistic.

    In the same way, there is a vast philosophical and theoretical difference
    between probability and statistics, yet they are generated by the same
    processes. Statistics only applies to past events-historical data while
    probability only applies to future events - stuff which has not yet
    happened. It is not proper to refer to the probability of a past event.
    sort of like a division by zero - it can be written but not interpreted
    (by most people - probably not saying any of this right).

    But this is done all the time by people who try to apply probability
    theory to abiogenesis and evolution. For example, If life was produced
    from non-life then all we can say about it (mathematically) is that it
    happened. It might be that the chances of it happening again - a 2nd time
    - are very small but this doesn't have anything to do with it happening
    the first time.

    billwald@juno.com

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.