Re: IC & ID (ID vs. ?)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 17:47:25 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:47:56 -0400, Nelson Alonso wrote:

    A welcome to the Reflector from me to Nelson. Maybe Nelson can tell us a
    bit about himself?

    >FJ>True but it's obvious where the ID movement wants to take it.

    >SJ>It is not "obvious" at all. The ID movement includes Christians
    >(Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox) as well as Jews and at least one
    >agnostic. Where *could* "the ID movement ... take it" after
    >design has been empirically detected in nature?

    NA>Jones:
    >Most of these ID'ers fall in the category of a Christian God.

    I didn't say this. It was "FMAJ1019"! I am "SJ" (Steve Jones).

    >NA>I am an IDer who does not believe in the Christian God.

    That now makes two IDers (Berthajane is the other) on this List who don't
    believe in the Christian God. Maybe those critics of ID who claim it is just
    Christian creationism in disguise might start getting the message?

    >SJ>Besides, if design is reliably detected in nature, it will rapidly
    >become *much* bigger than the ID movement. In fact the ID
    >movement might even cease to exist, because it would have
    >accomplished its task.

    NA>Jones:
    >The problem is that even if design could be reliably detected, and the
    >evidence suggests that it cannot, it cannot exclude natural forces as the
    >designer. What task would ID have accomplished?

    I didn't say this either!

    NA>Nelson:
    >What evidence suggests it cannot? I think the data presented thus far by
    >Behe et. al. can reliably exclude natural forces.

    Agreed. I keep saying "if the ID movement demonstrates that design is
    empirically detectable". But they already have done that in that Behe's
    irreducibly complex cases like the blood clotting cascade and the bacterial
    flagellum.

    It is just that the scientific materialists deny it on the basis of their
    *philosophy* which excludes intelligent causation in natural history apriori.

    NA>For example, in Dawkins' book _Clinmbing Mount Improbable_ , we find another
    >falsification criteria that nicely explains the relevancy of an IC system.
    >Dawkins is arguing about the evolution of photoreceptor cells:
    >
    >"The point is that ninety-one membranes are more effective in
    >stopping photons than ninety, ninety are more effective than eighty-
    >nine, and so on back to one membrane, which is more effective than
    >zero. This is the kind of thing I mean when I say there is a smooth
    >gradient up Mount Improbable. We would be dealing with an abrupt
    >precipice if, say, any number of membranes above forty five was very
    >effective while any number below forty-five was totally ineffective.
    >Neither common sense nor the evidence leads us to suspect any such
    >sudden discontinuities. "
    >
    >So 91 membranes
    >are more effective then 90
    >which in turn are more effective then 89
    >which in turn are more efffective then any lower number especially 0

    I have four things to say to this:

    1. Dawkins does commit Darwinism to gradualism and so IC is a potential
    falsification of Darwinism. Those Darwinists who rule out IC must know in
    their hearts that Darwinist is false, otherwise they would welcome IC
    arguments knowing they *must* win if Darwinism is true;

    2. The physicist Prof. Brian Josephson (of the quantum physics Josephson
    junction fame) pointed out that a smooth path up Mt Improbable would
    itself require an explanation (and IMHO would itself be an argument from
    design). Why *should* there be a smooth path up Mt Improbable,
    especially when we are really talking about *all* they eye's components:

            "Dawkins's bold claims to tell us how Mount Improbable may be
            scaled offers no fundamental principles of promise regarding how
            biological information of the scale needed to explain
            macroevolution might be generated and absolutely no empirical
            support for his thesis that there is a footpath to the top of Mount
            Improbable with sufficiently small steps. In a recent letter to the
            editor of The Independent Brian Josephson, professor of physics at
            Cambridge University, summarizes Dawkins's approach:

            In such books as the Blind Watchmaker, a crucial part of the
            argument concerns whether there exists a continuous path, leading
            from the origins of life to man, each step of which is both favored
            by natural selection, and small enough to have happened by chance.
            It appears to be presented as a matter of logical necessity that such
            a path exists, but actually there is no such logical necessity; rather,
            commonly made assumptions in evolution require the existence of
            such a path. (Josephson, 1997) (Josephson B., Letter to the editor,
            The Independent, January 12, 1997).

            (Bradley W.L., "Designed or Designoid", in Dembski W.A., ed.,
            "Mere Creation," 1998, pp.47-48.
            http://www.leaderu.com/science/designed-designoid.html)

    3. There are plenty of eyes which have stalled on the lower slopes of Mt
    Improbable, like the light-sensitive spot of Euglena. Why haven't they
    improved? It is no good saying they didn't need to because *no* animal
    needed to. *All* animals are by definition adapted to their environment, at
    any point on Mt Improbable otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first
    place. If each increment in the series was advantageous, then why didn't all
    animals' vision advance incrementally over time? Darwin in the Origin and
    Darwinists after him pointed to a continuum of eyes as evidence for their
    theory but, while it is an argument for common ancestry, it is actually a
    argument against *Darwinism*. If Darwinism was true, then all eyes (and
    everything else) would have advanced up Mt Improbable. Dawkins
    recognises (sort of) the problem with Nautilus but papers it over with
    rhetoric:

            "The swimming mollusc Nautilus, a rather strange squid-like
            creature that lives in a shell like the extinct ammonites ... has a pair
            of pinhole cameras for eyes. The eye is basically the same shape as
            ours but there is no lens and the pupil is just a hole that lets the
            seawater into the hollow interior of the eye. Actually, Nautilus is a
            bit of a puzzle in its own right. Why, in all the hundreds of millions
            of years since its ancestors first evolved a pinhole eye, did it never
            discover the principle of the lens? The advantage of a lens is that it
            allows the image to be both sharp and bright. What is worrying
            about Nautilus is that the quality of its retina suggests that it would
            really benefit, greatly and immediately, from a lens. It is like a hi-fi
            system with an excellent amplifier fed by a gramophone with a blunt
            needle. The system is crying out for a particular simple change. In
            genetic hyperspace, Nautilus appears to be sitting right next door to
            an obvious and immediate improvement, yet it doesn't take the
            small step necessary. Why not? Michael Land of Sussex University,
            our foremost authority on invertebrate eyes, is worried, and so am
            I. Is it that the necessary mutations cannot arise, given the way
            Nautilus embryos develop? I don't want to believe it, but I don't
            have a better explanation." (Dawkins R., "The Blind Watchmaker,"
            1991, reprint, pp.85-86)

    4. This is a good example of how Darwinism is philosophy (really
    naturalistic creation-mythology) because the evidence is that
    photoreceptors came *before* light sensitive spots:

            "But which came first - rhodopsin expression in pigment sells or in
            eye photoreceptor cells? A compelling argument would seem to
            support the second possibility. Light response of pigment cells
            serves for colour adaptations and what are colour changes good for
            if not for eyes to see them? Ancestral vertebrates equipped with
            eyes expressing vertebrate-type opsins, may have kept invertebrate-
            type opsins for light sensitive cells outside the eye. Pigment cells
            may then have recruited an invertebrate-type opsin gene for their
            own light-sensing needs. Recruitment of genes to function in new
            contexts is well documented, for instance, for lens crystallins."
            (Arnheiter H., "Eyes viewed from the skin," Nature, Vol. 391, 12
            February 1998, pp.632-633, p.633)

    NA>We can't do that with an IC system like F-ATPase.
    >
    >So 8 parts
    >are more effective then....nothing. I would fall off the mountain.

    Agreed. In fact this is how geneticists can tell which genes control which
    parts of the body. They knock out one gene and observe the effects. If the
    gene complexes were not to some extent IC, then progress in genetics
    would be difficult, if not almost impossible.

    >FJ>If they only
    >>realized that since it does not identify the designer

    >SJ>The ID movement *does* realise it. I have previously mentioned Fred
    >Hoyle's "Intelligent Universe" hypothesis as possibly within the ID
    >paradigm. The common bond of all members of the ID movement is
    >the belief in the existence (or at least the possibility) of empirically
    >detectable *design* in nature. It is *not* agreement on who is the
    >designer.

    NA>Jones:
    >Including nature as the designer? Lacking independent evidence of the
    >designer what does ID have to offer that presently science does not offer?

    Not me again!

    NA>Nelson:
    >Nature does not "design", it makes designoids. Mike Gene could make the same
    >argument about "evolvoids".

    Agreed. But my point was that ID is agnostic about the designer.

    >FJ>natural forces could
    >>be the designer making ID nothing more than "nature did it".

    >SJ>If design is detected and someone wants to claim that "natural forces
    >could be the designer" they are welcome to make their case.

    NA>Jones:
    >Simple, ID does not identify the designer therefor the designer can be
    >natural forces.
    >It's a simple and powerful case that ID has limited offerings.

    Not me again!

    NA>Nelson:
    >Non-sequitor. Intelligence can do things natural forces cannot do. You
    are
    >comparing apples and oranges.

    Agreed!

    >>SJ>There are *two* separate questions: 1) is there empirically
    detectable
    >>evidence for design in nature? and if so; 2) who (or what) is the
    >>designer or designers?

    >FJ>There can be evidence of design, is there evidence of design in nature.
    >>So far no evidence has been given that shows this.

    >SJ>There *has* been "evidence" given for empirically detectable design in
    >nature-Mike Behe's irreducible complexity proposal for example.

    NA>Jones:
    >And since natural pathways leading to IC systems have been shown, IC seems
    >to be dead in the water. Even worse, IC is infered from the absence of
    >evolutionary evidence, not from independent data. Why not admit when
    >evolutionary mechanisms are unsupported by the data that we don't know
    yet?

    Again not me. I am *for* ID not against it.

    NA>Nelson:
    >Can you give me some examples of "pathways to IC systems have been shown" ?

    Nelson beat me to it. I was going to ask FJ the same question.

    >SJ>I assume FJ is getting mixed up with "evidence" and proof? If FJ is
    >actually claiming that this is not even "evidence" then maybe he could state what
    >he would accept as evidence that the ID movement could present.

    NA>Jones:
    >Then anything could be considered evidence of design. Why just irreducible
    >complexity? Why not include regular complexity? Design is a placeholder for
    >"we don't know yet". At least in the case of biological design where no
    >independent evidence of design or designers exist to allow us to make a
    >case.

    Again, this is "FMAJ1019", not me.

    NA>Nelson:
    >Only if you a priori assume it evolved. "I understand it" does not mean "it
    >evolved".

    "FMAJ1019" is also confusing "design" in general with "ID". ID is a
    *special case* of design, namely those things which cannot be anything
    else *but* be the result of intelligent causation.

    The rest of the universe can be designed without it all being ID. Dembski
    uses the analogy of a painting and its canvas:

            "In its treatment of design, this book focuses not so much on
            whether the universe as a whole is designed but on whether we are
            able to detect design within an already given universe. The universe
            provides a well-defined causal backdrop (physicists these days think
            of it as a field characterized by field equations). Although one can
            ask whether that causal backdrop is itself designed, one can as well
            ask whether events and objects occurring within that backdrop are
            designed. At issue here are two types of design: (1) the design of
            the universe as a whole and (2) instances of design within the
            universe. An analogy illustrates the difference. Consider an oil
            painting. An oil painting is typically painted on a canvas. One can
            therefore ask whether the canvas is designed. Alternatively one can
            ask whether some configuration of paint on the canvas is designed.
            The design of the canvas corresponds to the design of the universe
            as a whole. The design of some configuration of paint corresponds
            to an instance of design within the universe. Though not perfect,
            this analogy is useful. The universe is a canvas on which is depicted
            natural history. One can ask whether that canvas itself is designed.
            On the other hand, one can ask whether features of natural history
            depicted on that canvas are designed. In biology, for instance, one
            can ask whether Michael Behe's irreducibly complex biochemical
            machines are designed. Although design remains an important issue
            in cosmology, the focus of the intelligent design movement is on
            biology That's where the action is. It was Darwin's expulsion of
            design from biology that made possible the triumph of naturalism in
            Western culture. So, too, it will be intelligent design's reinstatement
            of design within biology that will be the undoing of naturalism in
            Western culture. (Dembski W.A., "Intelligent Design," 1999,
            pp.13-14)

    "Perhaps we should not be surprised that vertebrate paleontologists did not
    support the prevailing view of slow, progressive evolution but tended to
    elaborate theories involving saltation, orthogenesis, or other vitalistic
    hypotheses. Most of the evidence provided by the fossil record does *not*
    support a strictly gradualistic interpretation, as pointed out by Eldredge
    and Gould (1972), Gould and Eldredge (1977), Gould (1985), and Stanley
    (1979, 1982)." (Carroll R.L., "Vertebrate Paleontology and Evolution,"
    W.H. Freeman & Co: New York NY, 1988, p.4. Emphasis in original)