Re: Life may have started in undersea vents

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 05:22:06 EDT

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>
    [...]
    >[SETI is basically a search
    >for intelligent design, and the comment that "it's highly scientific"
    applies
    >equally to ID too!]

    My thanks to Stephen for confirming that mainstream scientists do not rule
    out intelligent design on philosophical grounds.

    There's nothing unscientific about searching for ID. What's unscientific is
    claiming to have found ID based on bogus arguments. I'm sure many SETI
    researchers would love to demonstrate the existence of extraterrestrial ID,
    but, being scientists, they patiently go about the task of searching for
    evidence, rather than running a propaganda camapign claiming to have found
    evidence when there is none.

    BTW, I'll be on holiday in Greece for the next two weeks [ :-) ], so you
    won't be hearing from me for a while.

    Richard Wein (Tich)