Re: evidence against Darwinism-there isn't any!

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 02:48:37 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:20:51 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    [...[

    >SJ>Maybe Richard (or any other evolutionist) would be able to post what they
    >>consider "the most telling points against it", i.e. Evolution?
    >>
    >>I have asked this question from time to time on this List, and from memory I
    >>have *never* yet had a reply.

    SB>Interesting question.

    When I said I "have *never* yet had a reply", I mean to the actual
    question: "What do you, an evolutionist, consider the most telling points
    against evolution?"

    Some evolutionists have replied, but they *always* re-phrase the question
    to mean something else. Susan here is no exception!

    It appears that most (if not all) evolutionists are unable to even form in
    their minds the question: "What do you, an evolutionist, consider the most
    telling points against evolution?"

    SB>I think you are assuming that someone is in doubt...

    Note how Susan's reply rephrases the question. I asked "... any ...
    evolutionist ... what they consider `the most telling points against ...
    Evolution?"

    But Susan tries to change the subject into my state of mind ("assuming")
    about evolutionists state of mind ("doubt")!

    SB>...about whether evolution occured.

    And this is the usual retreat to a vague definition that cannot be falsified.

    In the past Susan has defined "Evolution" as "a change in the gene frequency
    of a population over time:

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 11:49:44 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >Evolution is a change in the gene frequency of a population over time

    SB>Except for a few creationists there are not many.

    In fact even "creationists" would not "doubt" that!

    SB>I can think of lots of things that would falisfy evolution, if true.

    I was not asking for "things that would falisfy evolution", although
    in the past Susan has AFAIK only proposed such `risky' :-) propositions
    as:

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:35:07 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >but that would not *falsify* ID. Scientific theories must have concievable
    >conditions under which they could be proved untrue. For example if we *did*
    >find a reliably dated fossil of a human in cambrian strata, that would
    >prove evolution to be untrue.

    But how would that falsify Susan's definition of "Evolution" as "a change in
    the gene frequency of a population over time"?

    SB>But that's about it.

    That's about what? Susan has not answered the original question:

    Maybe Richard (or any other evolutionist) would be able to post what they
    consider "the most telling points against it", i.e. Evolution?

    Which only goes to prove my point that evolutionists apparently cannot
    bring themeselves to admit there are any "telling points against...
    Evolution"! This is evidence that to them it is not just a scientific
    theory but an object of `religious faith'.

    SB>Now.

    Here comes a counter-attack! Which only proves my point!

    SB>What is the evidence against the helio-centric solar system? What is the
    >evidence against the Theory of Gravity? It's only a theory after all.
    >What's the evidence against the the existence of the American Civil War?

    I wasn't asking about "the helio-centric solar system ...the Theory of
    Gravity" (whatever that is) and "the American Civil War". There is no
    disagreement between Susan and I (and in fact probably anyone on this
    planet on these things.

    I was talking about "Evolution", which is after all what this Reflector is
    about.

    SB>What evidence do *you* have against it?

    I have *plenty* of "evidence...against it" (i.e. Evolution). But my question
    was whether any *evolutionist* on the List "would be able to post what
    they consider "the most telling points against it", i.e. Evolution"?

    SB>The Cambrian Explosion ain't it.

    Which is interesting in itself. At least Darwin admitted it was a major
    difficulty:

            "Consequently, if the theory be true, it is indisputable that before
            the lowest Cambrian stratum was deposited, long periods elapsed,
            as long as, or probably far longer than, the whole interval from the
            Cambrian age to the present day; and that during these vast periods
            the world swarmed with living creatures. .... To the question why
            we do not find rich fossiliferous deposits belonging to these
            assumed earliest periods prior to the Cambrian system, I can give
            no satisfactory answer." (Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species,"
            1928, reprint, p.315)

    Susan (and most other evolutionists on this List) reminds me of what I was
    just reading about Herbert Spencer:

            "His faith was so strong that it did not wait on scientific proof.
            Spencer became an ardent evolutionist at a time when a cautious
            scientist would have been justified at least in suspending judgement.
            ... for him the belief in natural causation was primary, the theory of
            evolution derivative." (Burrow J.W., "Evolution and Society: A
            Study in Victorian Social Theory," [1966], Cambridge University
            Press: London, 1968, reprint, p.205)

    That is for Susan, and indeed most (if not all) evolutionists in my
    experience, "natural causation" (i.e. Metaphysical Naturalism) is "primary"
    and "the theory of evolution" is derivative."

    This includes BTW those Naturalistic Evolutionists who happen to be
    Christians (who I have only recently realised I have wrongly been calling
    Theistic Evolutionists).

    Thus Susan, and indeed most (if not all) evolutionists in my experience,
    does not really need much (if any) scientific evidence for "evolution" and
    they just ignore any evidence against it. It is the *metaphysics* that is all-
    important.

    After all, if there is no God, or if there is a God but He never intervenes in
    natural history, then it does not matter about the evidence. It simply
    *must* have been by "evolution"!

    SB>Even we were 100% certain that was the actual Christian Creation Event(tm)
    >things have been evolving ever since.

    If "Evolution is a change in the gene frequency of a population over time",
    then they sure have!

    "If the creationists want to impress the Darwinian establishment, it will be
    no use prating on about what the fossils say. No good Darwinian's belief in
    evolution stands on the fossil evidence for gradual evolution, so nor will his
    belief fall by it." (Ridley, Mark, "Who doubts evolution?" New Scientist,
    Vol. 90, pp.830-832, 25 June 1981, p.832)