Re: Janet posts to T.O. as well

Ed Brayton (cynic@net-link.net)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:46:27 -0500

Amanda Gladden wrote:

> As I read down these messages, I constatly see certain people bashing on
> each other. Why is that?

I think you will find that the only bashing going on is of Janet Miller
and Joseph Mastrapaolo, both of whom promote the thoroughly absurd
claims of Richard Peterson and have shown a relentless capacity for
self-delusion. Everyone else on the list, even those who dramatically
disagree on the issues, maintains civil conversations.

> I know
> that there is some evidence that evolution does exist, but there is not
> enough to convince me that I came from a monkey. Who's to say that
> monkeys didn't come from humans? If evolution happened so long ago, why
> haven't more monkeys evolved into humans since then? This is just my
> opinion and if you have comments on it, then go ahead. Start your
> bashing.

I'm not going to bash you. I will try and correct some misunderstandings
in your statement, but I will do it cordially. Man did not evolve from
monkeys. Man and monkeys (and all primates) share a common ancestor that
has become extinct. As for monkeys coming from humans, the evidence
suggests otherwise. There is a compelling sequence of species leading
from Miocene apes to modern humans, with several likely sidebranches
that died off, that shows the succession of forms quite well. New fossil
finds complete the picture year by year. For information on hominid
evolution, I would suggest the Talk.Origins archive hominids FAQ written
by Jim Foley. It can be found at http://www.talkorigins.org.

Ed