Re: A fine-tuned universe

Randy Bronson (randy@Techsource.COM)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:56:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

> Given the current exchange of comments on the fine-tuned character of this
> universe, let me throw in a brief contribution.
>
> 1. There appears to be a strong case for saying that this universe is
> characterized by a long list of specific properties and dynamic
> capabilities that make it "just right" for the appearance of the type of
> carbon-based life that we see.
>
> 2. I personally take that as affirmative evidence that this universe was
> "designed," in the specific and modern sense of having been thoughtfully
> conceptualized by its Source of being for the accomplishment of some
> purpose. (As a Christian I might prefer to say that in a far more
> theologically meaningful way, but for now let's leave it in this minimalist
> form.)
>
> 3. This use of the universe's fine-tuned nature has an interesting feature
> that is sometimes overlooked by those who employ it. The fine-tuning
> feature here noted is a necessary trait of the universe only if the life
> forms at which we marvel are presumed to be the outcome of the universe's
> (robust and gapless) formational economy.
>
> 4. If, on the other hand, one presumes that the continuity of the
> universe's formational history has been broken by occasional episodes of
> form-imposing divine intervention, then there is no need for the
> fine-tuning. Any deviations from the fine-tuned character of this universe
> could simply be compensated for by additiional episodes of irruptive divine
> action. In fact, one might argue that the appearance of fine-tuning would
> then be misleading.
>
> 5. Therefore, as I see it, any apppeal to fine-tuning as evidence of
> "design" entails the acceptance of what I have called the "robust
> formational economy principle."
>
> 6. Proponents of "Intelligent Design" reject the robust formational economy
> principle.
>
> 7. Therefore, quite ironically, proponents of ID cannot make an appeal to
> fine-tuning as evidence favoring their vision of "intelligent design,"
> which includes, as an essential element, the necessity for occasional
> episodes of "extranatural assembly by a crafty molecular artisan."
>
> Howard Van Till

Great insight. But perhaps your conclusion does not necessarily follow.
Perhaps the "ID argument" should be reworded like this:

The universe gives evidence of being designed in the same way a
computer does. Although a computer cannot produce a software program
without form-imposing intervention it does facilitate the production of
this program and allow for it's continued existence after it's produced.
In the same way, although the universe does not make the existence of
life inevitable, it does provide a well-designed environment to support
life once it has been created.

What do you think?

Randy Bronson
| |
| ______ ______ _____ Randy Bronson, Manufacturing Tech |
| \/_ _/ / ____/\/_ _/ 442 S. North Lake Blvd. |
| / / // / /___ / / / Altamonte Springs, FL 32701 |
| / / /_\/___ /_/ / / TEL : 407-262-7100 |
| / / //\____/ /\_\/ /_\ FAX : 407-339-2554 |
| \/_/ \/_____/\/______/ EMAIL: randy@techsource.com |
| |