RE: Cambridge Publishes Neo-Creationism

Randy Bronson (randy@Techsource.COM)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:30:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Kevin L. O'Brien wrote:

> Greetings Randy:

Thank you. And thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

> "Would Hugh Ross's argument that the physical constants of the universe give the appearance of having been fine-tuned to permit the
existence of life count as positive evidence?"

> Yes it would, but you should know that this argument did not originate with Ross. It is part of the anthropic principle, which was first
proposed a couple of decades ago by non-creationist cosmologists. They were not arguing that the universe was designed by an intelligent
being, but rather that the universe is known to exist only because there are intelligent beings around to observe it.

I would certainly agree with this point but it seems a bit tautological to
me. The scientists seem to be saying "The only reason we know the universe
exists is because we exist to perceive it." True, but how does this
insight explain why the physical constants in the universe favor life's
existence instead of it's non-existence?

As such, the "fine-tuned" nature of the constants is coincidental rather than purposeful. These same cosmologists did not reject evolution.

> As such, the concept that the universe is "fine-tuned for life" can also be accounted for by evolution; by itself it does not support
creation any better.
> Kevin L. O'Brien

But if evolution is "descent with modification" how does it explain the
fine tuning of the universe? The universe is not a replicating system so
unless the only universe that exists supports life there will never be a
subsequent universe that supports life. At least that's how it seems to
me.

Randy Bronson

| |
| ______ ______ _____ Randy Bronson, Manufacturing Tech |
| \/_ _/ / ____/\/_ _/ 442 S. North Lake Blvd. |
| / / // / /___ / / / Altamonte Springs, FL 32701 |
| / / /_\/___ /_/ / / TEL : 407-262-7100 |
| / / //\____/ /\_\/ /_\ FAX : 407-339-2554 |
| \/_/ \/_____/\/______/ EMAIL: randy@techsource.com |
| |