RE: Earth Rotation and the Flood

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@calvin.edu)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:54:35 -0400

At 10:09 AM 10/15/98 -0600, Kevin O'Brian wrote:
>Greetings Steve:
>
>"Yes, when I look at a rock outcrop I am biased into looking at it in a standard geologic
>framework and not, for example, as the result of a recent global flood."
>
>I wouldn't even call that bias. You expect it, because as you pointed out there is so
>much evidence from so many other sources that support the standard geologic framework.
>But if what you observed in fact contradicted the standard geologic framework, you
>wouldn't stubbornly insist upon interpreting it that way, but would investigate it
>intensely to find out what interpretation it would support.

Exactly. If I found, for example, an icthyosaur fossil in the Devonian-aged limestones
in my field area, I would certainly sit up and take notice. That is what I might expect
if all sedimentary rocks were laid down during a global flood. Instead I just find
corals, brachiopods, bryozoans, gastropods, trilobites, etc. which is what one would
expect to find given geologist's understanding of the Devonian Period.

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies   Calvin College, 3201 Burton Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546   sschimmr@calvin.edu (office), schimmri@earthlink.net (home)   616-957-7053 (voice mail), 616-957-6501 (fax)    http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/