Re: Earth Rotation and the Flood

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@calvin.edu)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:41:45 -0400

At 11:18 AM 10/12/98 -0700, Art Chadwick wrote:

>At 09:03 AM 10/12/98 -0400, Steven Schimmrich wrote:
>
>> Allen Archer, one of the authors of the "Geology" paper that Art gave as a
>>reference for the tidal rhythmite interpretation of the Mansfield Formation,
>>graciously provided a very quick reply to my e-mail inquiry about Art's
>>interpretation of his fossil. It's posted below in its entirety and I think
>>makes a good case for the traditional interpretation of these rocks as being
>>tidal rhythmites and Art's fossil isn't all that significant.
>

>Well, now, if you asked someone who spent their professional career
>studying tidal rhythmites whether they were really tidal rhythmites, what
>kind of an answer would you expect to get? Are you surprised if he thinks
>they are tidal rhythmites, and that my challenge is not all that
>significant? I am challenging that interpretation, based on some evidence,
>including vertical stigmarian roots that pass through many layers. The
>fact that there are apparent tidal cycles is not in dispute from here. I am
>suggesting on the basis of the fossil data that there must be some other
>interpretation of the data. That is a challenge that I or someone else
>who is interested should pursue. The data are not all in.

Your initial post implied, perhaps not intentionally, that this fossil
would be a great blow to those advocating a tidal rhythmite model for these
rocks. After reading the paper you referenced, and seeing them talk about
material perpendicular to laminations in the paper, I decided to ask them what
they thought about your fossil (why not, they're fellow geologists easily
reached by e-mail).

Instead of addressing their statements about the leaves being tough, the
tidal currents on the bars the laminae are deposited on being gentle, etc.
you reply with an attitude of "well, they're biased anyway". It reminds me of
partisan Democrats in the House of Representatives screaming that the Republicans
are partisan. I think your bias is apparent as well which is why it's important
to discuss the evidence, not accuse legitimate researchers of having bad motives.
These guys are investigating modern analogues for these tidal rhythmites and seeing
exactly the conditions which would preserve your fossil without any problem.

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies   Calvin College, 3201 Burton Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546   sschimmr@calvin.edu (office), schimmri@earthlink.net (home)   616-957-7053 (voice mail), 616-957-6501 (fax)    http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/