Re: Humphreys magnetic field data

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@calvin.edu)
Fri, 02 Oct 1998 10:57:01 -0400

At 07:55 PM 10/1/98 -0500, Glenn Morton wrote:

> I just became aware of an amazing coincidence with the drawing of the
> magnetic field history as envisioned by the young-earth creationist Russell
> Humphreys. Apparently, he reversed the time axis on a drawing in book to
> come up with his creationist magnetic field. Info can be found at
>
> http://www.carm.org/wwwboard3/messages/36821.html
>
> Apparently Humphreys mis-represented the archeomagnetic data he cites as
> support for his view.

Thanks for sharing this with us Glenn!

Now, a direct question to the YEC types on this list. In the past, I've
been accused on this and other (ASA, SCICHR) lists of being a bit harsh in
my critiques of YEC. Why? Because I've said that some of them deliberately
lie and misrepresent mainstream scientific data. So, my questions for the
YEC on this list are:

Doesn't Humpreys appear to be deliberately misrepresenting scientific data in
this, rather clearcut, example?
Is this a way for a Christian scientist (Humphreys has a Ph.D. in physics and
can not claim ignorance) to behave?
Will YECs therefore stop using Humphreys claims in their defense of a young
Earth and repudiate his methodology here of misrepresenting data?

Know what, I'll make a prediction. YECs will ignore these questions and keep
referring to Humphreys' arguments for a young Earth as being valid. That's why
I believe many in the YEC movement are either willfully ignorant (they don't
WANT to know the truth) or morally bankrupt (they dont' CARE what the truth is).
Comments?

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies   Calvin College, 2301 Burton Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546   sschimmr@calvin.edu (office), schimmri@earthlink.net (home)   616-957-7053 (voice mail), 616-957-6501 (fax)    http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/