Re: Coconino sandstone

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:12:29 -0700

At 11:41 PM 9/30/98 -0400, Ed wrote:
>I accept that Brand has done serious work, published in peer reviewed
>journals, that advocates a global flood model as an explanation for the
>deposition of the Coconino sandstone. I am just trying to examine that
>work to determine whether it is correct in its conclusions or not, as
>well as examine the larger picture of the geological explanations for
>this formation. Pardon me for saying so, but you seem to have a chip on
>your shoulder about this. Given that my discussion with you on this
>issue has been entirely focused on the evidence, with no mention
>whatsoever of anyone's religious predispositions, I'm not sure why you
>chose to vent that on me. I am much more interested in just discussing
>the evidence and the inferences drawn from that evidence.

Sorry. That was not directed at you at all. I do think that the best way
for you to find out the answers you seek is through reading his papers and
emailing to him directly. I have been somewhat involved in his research
personally, but have not kept up with what he has done. Below are some of
his papers, and his email address is lbrand_at_ucomp@ccmail.llu.edu.

1979. Field and laboratory studies on the Coconino Sandstone (Permian)
vertebrate footprints and their paleoecological implications.
Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 28:25-38.

1992. Reply: Fossil vertebrate footprints in the Coconino Sandstone
(Permian) of northern Arizona: Evidence for underwater origin. Geology
20:668-670.

1996. Variations in salamander trackways resulting from substrate
differences. Journal of Paleontology 70:1004-1010.

, and T. Tang. 1991. Fossil vertebrate footprints in the Coconino Sandstone
(Permian) of northern Arizona: Evidence for underwater origin. Geology
19:1201-1204.

Art
http://biology.swau.edu