Re: Flood and miracles

Lloyd Eby (leby@nova.umuc.edu)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:50:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Jim Bell wrote:

> <<The deeper problem, for evangelical and fundamentalist Christians, is
> that
> they tend to want to turn the Bible into what someone called a "paper
> pope." They do this, I think, because they feel that salvation comes from
> believing and observing the Bible.>>
>
> As an evangelical, I don't believe this to be the case. I've never believed
> this or heard it tuaght. Ever. Has Billy Graham ever said this? No. There
> may be some fundamentalist pastors who teach this, but I've never met them.

Back in either Mennonite high school or Mennonite college -- I forget
which -- I was taught the notion of Biblical inerrancy. What is Biblical
inerrancy if not the Protestant side of the Roman Catholic papal
infallability coin?

I remember, from my Mennonite ancestors, a kind of compulsive Biblicism --
but selective, of course, because the Bible contains internal
contradictions, so you must pick and choose what you are going to attend
to and what y9ou are going to ignore if you want to hold to any notion of
Biblical inerrancy.

Lloyd Eby