Re: New Flood data

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:44:43 -0500

At 05:05 PM 2/23/98 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:
>>>evolve fruitflies even by evolutionary standards. <<<
>>>
>>Sometimes, Glenn, I think your the king of non-sequitirs. I have no
>>argument with your math, but since macro-evolution has never been seen and
>>observed you cannot say whether it took a long time or a short time.
>
>I think if you will understand what I said, you will see that I AM saying
>that evolution takes a fairly long time. Thus contra your last sentence we
>can say that it DIDN'T take a short time.

Perhaps it's time to ensure we're all using the same definition of
macroevolution. I have occasionally heard the claim that macroevolution
has been observed. If by macroevolution you mean major morphological
change, then obviously such a claim is incorrect. But if you simply mean
that a new population has arisen that does not interbreed with its
predecessors, then it's not so far-fetched. So, what do we mean by
macroevolution, friends?
--------
Bill Hamilton
Staff Research Engineer