Re: New Flood Data

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:08:11 -0500

At 01:17 AM 2/18/98 -0500, Jim Bell wrote:

>This, then, is my question: Could not the miraculous wind God used to dry
>the Earth make the Earth, many thousands of years later, look exactly
>like it does today?

Yes, it could. However, miracles in Scripture are usually intended in part
to teach God's sovereignty. In view of this it would seem strange that God
would perform a great miracle (the flood) and then destroy the evidence of
it. The beauty of Glenn's scenario is that it shows that there is at least
one place and time in earth's history where a flood consistent with the
Biblical description occurred.

Might it indeed answer every single one of Gelnn's
>objections if this is the case?

It could, but as Glenn pointed out in his reply, he would not have a
problem with the young-earth creationists if they simply declared the flood
to be a miraculous act of God. That view of the flood has IMO a rather
powerful message for the unsaved: No matter how carefully you investigate,
you will not be able to identify everything God has done in the history of
our planet. Some events have been made inaccessible by God's miraculous
acts. But by trying to find naturalistic explanations, the YEC's have
turned the flood debate into a debate over whether mechanisms exist and
whether physical laws are violated by proposed mechanisms, and the
evangelistic message is lost in a morass of debate and detail.
--------
Bill Hamilton
Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems