Re: War of the Worlds (was: Baumgardner)

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:32:33 -0600

Jim,

When did you get so formal with your name? Are you running for Guv of
California?
At 11:39 AM 2/17/98 -0500, James Bell wrote of romans 1:

>You're reading too much into this passage, Glenn. You are, in essence,
>saying that God should have shown himself in the RESULTS of a geological
>TRAUMA. That's not what the passage refers to, as you'll note from the
>context (creation) and the very word "things" which means, literally,
>"workmanship."

My problem is believing in a global flood which leaves no evidence that it
actually occurred. In geology I see extremely little evidence of the rapid
deposition of the entire column (rapid deposition of an individual bed but
not the whole column). If the global flood were real, I would expect to see
far more evidence. The flood had to be local in extent.

>You only see two options:
>
>>>1. God didn't want us to see it. (which is not a satisfying answer)
>>>2. We weren't correct in our interpretation that the Bible required a
>global
>>>flood.
>
>There is also 3. God considers it irrelevant what you demand as a
>satisfying answer.

Then your point raises a fourth possibility that I don't like: God is
deceiving modern scientists with the evidence He manufactured which shows
slow deposition not the global flood.

But more importantly, I am not demanding this evidence from God, I am asking
for it from global flood advocates. Last I checked, they aren't GOD. Why
can't someone tell me how salt is deposited in the middle of a global flood
in which the average rate of deposition is 50-100 feet per hour. Why can't
someone tell me how the quantity of dead animals we actually observe in the
fossil record could all fit into one preflood biosphere?
Why can't someone tell me why the sediment distribution as we see it today
violates the second law of thermodynamics if the flood was global? Why
can't someone tell me how dinosaurs had time to leave layer after layer of
footprints during depositions of 50-100 feet per day? Why is anything alive
long enough to be more than 1000 feet above the bottom of the column? Why
can't someone tell me how the frictional heat generated by continental drift
could be dissipated if drift occurred in a 1 year period?

I could go on and on. As far as the global flood is concerned, we christians
are
kicking against the goads!!!

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood