Forams and transitionals

Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.tamug.tamu.edu)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:03:29 -0600 (CST)

Bill Payne writes:

BP>Let's follow Art's challenge and put our creative minds to work
BP>to see if we can come up with an alternative explanation.
BP>Suppose all of the forms were present in the flood, and suppose
BP>each species bloomed successively in response to various
BP>environmental factors. Then we would get a worldwide
BP>succession of forams with no transitionals, which is what we
BP>see. Since this model explains the lack of transitionals *as
BP>well as* "the correct order to land in the sediments," then
BP>your model is trumped.

BP>I win one at last. :-)

How does your model explain observed transitional sequences?
Please use

Pearson, PN, Shcakleton, NJ, & Hall, MA. 1997. Stable isotopic
evidence for the sympatric divergence of Globigerinoides trilobus
and Orbulina universa (planktonic foraminifera). Journal of the
Geological Society, London, Vol. 154:295-302.

as a case study to demonstrate the superiority of your model.

Wesley