Re: Uniformitarianism

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:21:54 -0600

Fri, 06 Feb 1998 21:21:35 -0600 Glenn Morton wrote:

> Foraminifera are very small, microscopic forms of life. Each species has a
> skeleton with a unique shape that is easily distinguishable from the others.

OK, my friend. If what you believe is true, then why don't the
different species' skeletons grade into each other. Did they go off
into some corner of the ocean to evolve into the next form and then
suddenly reappear? How do you explain this nemesis of the fossil
record: abrupt appearance and stasis?

> Paleontologists give different names to the various forms. In a turbulent
> flood, these small forms should be very thoroughly mixed up with no order to
> them. Yet we find such an order.

> Each of the above is found in the order I listed. Bolivina imporcata is
> always above the Buliminella 1 and below the Lenticulina 1. Given a world
> wide flood model you must postulate that these animals had to invariably
> find the correct order to land in the sediments. INVARIABLY.

Let's follow Art's challenge and put our creative minds to work to see
if we can come up with an alternative explanation. Suppose all of the
forms were present in the flood, and suppose each species bloomed
successively in response to various environmental factors. Then we
would get a worldwide succession of forams with no transitionals, which
is what we see. Since this model explains the lack of transitionals *as
well as* "the correct order to land in the sediments," then your model
is trumped.

I win one at last. :-)

Bill