Re: uniformitarianism

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 09:39:04 -0800

At 06:17 AM 2/3/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:
There ARE frameworks found in the
>fossil record and I will give you some more examples. Robert H. Dott Jr.,
>and Roger L. Batten, Evolution of the Earth, 1971 p. 605 fig AII.5 shows a
>colonial devonian Hexagonaria coral.(this same picture is found on p 310 of
>their 1988 edition) On p. 607 Figure AII.7 shows a framework tabulate coral
>colony. (This same picture is found in their 1988 edition on page 343)

But Glenn, see Cook, H.E., P. N. McDaniel, E. W .Mountjoy and L. C. Pray. 1972
Allochthonous carbonate debris flows at Devonian bank ('reef") margins,
Alberta, Canada. Bull Can Pet Geol 20:439-497. In this paper and in
others by the same authors, they repeatedly place what clearly are reefs in
the geological sense into the debris flow categories where I think they
belong in terms of their sed characteristics and placement. All of the
features you cite in favor of reefs are present in these mounds. Yet they
are misrepresented as such, according to Cook.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu