Re: Standing miracle? (was ' Evolution: A few questions')

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 16:09:50 EDT

Vernon,

What bothers me about your comments on this thread is the non sequiturs. I
think that all the regular contributors to this forum accept the truth of
Genesis 1:1. The numerical patterns in it are totally unnecessary to reach
that conclusion. To say that it implies YEC seems like quite a stretch. If
that verse gives any indication at all about the length of time involved,
it is not supportive of YEC. The author chose to use the word *reshit*,
which means a first part of something, not a first point. See what this
word means in Gen. 10:10, Job 42:12, and Jeremiah 28:1.

What would really be impressive would be if you could come up with a way
based on numerical patterns to test any text, not just Gen. 1:1, to tell
for sure whether or not it is Scripture. That would be a great boon to
textual criticism.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado