Re: Evolution: A few questions

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 15:11:51 EDT

>>Regarding the importance of theology. I remember CS Lewis comparing
theology to a map, say of the Atlantic. The map is not the Atlantic
Ocean nor is theology the same as one's personal experience of God. But
just as your view of the ocean from your vacation at the shore, so your
experience of God is limited and parochial. A map gives the big picture
of where you are, where you could go and how to get there. It is
compiled from many points of data. Theology gives the big picture of God
and should reflect the experiences and thoughts of many men and women
over many centuries.>>

Good point. I think Lewis (one of my favorite authors) was dead right.

But a theological map that is YEC-based CAN get you quite lost.

Our problem is that there are myriads of theological maps to choose from
today. Not all of them can be correct. What Hawthorne was pointing out
was the hubris of people who construct these maps and at the same time
claim that THEY have finally got it right!

jb

                www.burgy.50megs.com

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!