RE: The state of suburban theology

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 12:39:49 EDT

Sometime ago I wrote the following paragraph and thought it may be interesting:

God created the whole of nature. Man is mind/body/spirit. Therefore, God can interact with man via all these channels. Of course, He can interact solely with matter, e.g., the miracle of turning water into wine. An interesting analogy of the nature of God and man can be made with the aid of the notion of the Hamiltonian in physics. The Hamiltonian represents the total energy of a system and is the sum of an interaction-free part plus interaction terms. The free part encompasses things that exist without the need of interactions whereas the interaction terms bring into existence things that were not explicitly present in the free part. Now God is the sole term in the free part and is thus the only self-existing being. However, man and the rest of creation are a consequence of the interactions and as such are not self-existing. In other words, man and Nature owe their existence to God and their study makes no sense without the knowledge of God. Note that the "God of !
 the Gaps" argument is fallacious since there really are no gaps. God is self-existing yet the creation is contingent on His existence. There are no gaps for God to "hind in." Our laws may "explain" nature but they certainly neither create nor sustain that which exists.

Moorad