ASA: Planks in ASA statement of faith -- suggest 2 more possibilities, and connection with spiritual disciplines.

From: Roberts, Joe <Joe.Roberts@THECB.state.tx.us>
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 12:25:36 EDT

Hi, I'm not a member but I signed up for the e-amil, and I also put a
"link" about

Amazon recommendations on your Web site. I'm United Methodist 57 live in
Texas.

Name is Joe C Roberts.

Our platform of faith has four important planks: ( last sentence of each
my comments )

1. We accept the divine inspiration, trustworthiness and authority of
the Bible in matters of faith and conduct. Trust your instincts. The
discipline of MEDITATION,

discovery/acknowledgement of kinks/knotty issues.

2. We confess the Triune God affirmed in the Nicene and Apostle's
creeds which we accept as brief, faithful statements of Christian
doctrine based upon Scripture. Be reasonable

about what's worked out already and handed down, else our performance
will be miniscule.

Accept the discipline of SPIRITUAL DIRECTING (mentoring),
discovery/resolution of unintended side-effects.

3. We believe that in creating and preserving the universe God has
endowed it with contingent order and intelligibility, the basis of
scientific investigation. A person

with half a mind knows in his heart that it's not an accident and it
understands what

is wholesome and balanced. The discipline of CONTEMPLATION,
discovery/appreciation of quirks of God, without perhaps understanding
completely.

4. We recognize our responsibility, as stewards of God's creation, to
use science and technology for the good of humanity and the whole world.
Common sense reigns. The discipline of SILENCE/LISTENING, discovery of
chaotic implications and seeking 2nd wind.

Additions which I suggest (or at least feel needed for completion for
me):

5. It's intuitively obvious that it takes a community to formulate the

whole truth, but someone always has to step forward with an option to
consider.

We don't kill the messenger or deplore failure when he's not perfect, as
long

as he at least addresses the right issues. The distinction between major

and minor is our neverending burden which has to be dealt with in a
spirit

of humor. The discipline of JOURNALING, discovery/disambiguating of
showstoppers.

6. There are alternative realities which are somewhat commingled and
somewhat

complementary, so that we share partially and collaborate in advancing
without

getting mad about differences. We are open and flexible about what
constitutes

a new gift from God for this generation. The discipline of SMALL GROUP/
SPIRITUAL FRIENDSHIP (fellowship), discovery/encouragement of dodging
twists and turns.